Update only when you can.

♥ Cerra

#93 HoplessRomantic02

HoplessRomantic02

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hello year from now and empty thread meet Gracey. Im sure you two will get along well.
Update!

-MiMi *Go Green

#94 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

So, Gracey dear, hows all the crazy-hectic work going?

Luuuurve, Ami . . X

#95 I'm Jesse's Gurl

I'm Jesse's Gurl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

^Pompeii?

Thanks, guys. Really. :heartbeat:

Love,
Gracey :elmo:

That's it.
Thanks Gracey. Lol

#96 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

Don't hate me.
-------------
The room was still dimly lit when I woke to two sounds, coincidentally going off at the same moment: a set of two knocks, pounding on my door at different heights, and a cell phone ringing with irritating proximity to my ear.

Neither of these sounds made particular sense, as none of my family was inclined to knock on my door, except maybe Jack, but he knocked differently, and as I didn’t own a cell phone.

After a few addled blinks, the first of these sounds started to make sense. I was at Bane’s house, and that was surely Natalie and Lindsay, needing something. I rolled over to locate the second noise, my eyes widening as I recalled the night before. It was almost funny, how perfectly Bane’s expression matched mine.

“crap,” he whispered, pulling his phone from his pocket and reading who was calling. “Daniel.”

I didn’t even bother to reprimand him for cursing. Instead, we exchanged a panicked look that said, Don’t let Natalie and Lindsay know, and he rolled off and under the bed in one solid movement, smothering the phone against his body.

Hurriedly, I went to the door, opening it just a crack. And, sure enough, there they were, their twin faces smiling up at me energetically: Natalie and Lindsay with a tray filled with three bowls of cereal. I used my body to shield any possible view of Bane.

“We brought you breakfast!” Natalie sang, as Lindsay nodded eagerly. She reminded me of myself as a child, in that way, always so eager to please. I sincerely hoped that someone would teach Lindsay that she needed to look out for herself in a way less harsh than the one I’d been given.

Even as nerves flittered around in my stomach, a smiled my sincerest smile at the girls. “Give me a minute?” I asked cheerily, still standing firmly in the door. I could feel my smile growing strained as I struggled to maintain it for too long.

The beam that Natalie shot me was perfectly innocent and sincere. Imitate that, Deirdre of the Sorrows. “Sure,” she muttered happily, perfectly unsuspicious as only a child could be. I nodded once, encouragingly, and then shut the door firmly, placing my back against it as if this would keep it closed.

Tentatively, Bane peeked his head out from under the bed, and then emerged quickly when he saw that the coast was clear. “What are we going to do?” I hissed at him, abstractly irritated that this situation had arisen. But then again, I supposed I had been grateful for the option of information the night before. And company. For once, I’d been grateful for company.

I was utterly confused by this whole situation.

Wasting precious seconds, leaving time for Natalie and Lindsay to suspect something, to hear something, Bane swept his eyes around the room. The closet. His eyes flicked from the closet to me and back again, and I nodded.

Hurriedly, he shut himself in the space small enough that it would have been cramped for me—and Bane is a good six inches taller, and fifty pounds heavier. Luckily for him, the closet was empty; nevertheless, I heard a muffled ouch as the door clicked shut.

Wincing on his behalf, I went to open the door for Natalie and Lindsay, who were still waiting with nary a trace of suspicion on their small, innocent faces. I tried to imitate. Monkey see, monkey do. I made a warped version of a monkey.

“Good morning, girls,” I muttered brightly, quietly, then stepping aside to allow them passage. “Thank you for breakfast.”

“You’re welcome!” Lindsay sang, daintily polite as she skipped over to throw herself on my unmade bed. Natalie, laden down with the tray, followed at a more leisurely pace. With the tray in the middle, we formed an unwieldy triangle, with me as the awkwardly anxious pinnacle.

Silently, we began to eat our cereal. If I hadn’t been wrapped up in my own nerves, I might have sooner noticed the glances that the two Morrison girls were exchanging, accompanied by giggles, and their uncharacteristic silence. As things were, I paid these not-so-subtle conferences no mind until Lindsay squeaked, “Oh, ask her, Natalie!”

My absent stare morphed into an arched eyebrow. “Ask me what?” I questioned quietly. Those devious little monkeys! This whole breakfast scheme had been to butter me up for whatever it was that Natalie and Lindsay wanted. Vaguely irritating as it was, under the circumstances, I had to admit that their intent was enchanting.

Natalie shot me the most shy, sweet, scheming smile I’d ever seen. That was persuasion. “Well, Deirdre,” she muttered, taking the six-year-old technique of tempting, “on Saturdays sometimes I go over to my friend Jessica’s house. Can I go?” She dropped the shy act, forgoing that for full-on begging. “Please? Please, Deirdre? I’ll be good forever, I promise.”

I eyed her ruefully, unsure. Innocent though they largely were, Natalie and Lindsay would be able to pull a fast one on me pretty easily, given half a chance. I wasn’t sure if this Saturday play date thing was legit. “Ask your brother,” I hedged, certain that Bane would know whether or not this was alright.

Because Natalie’s face lit up, as opposed to sank, I knew that she’d been straight with me. “Bane’s here?” she asked, delighted at the prospect. Fleetingly, I wondered what it was like to have someone love you so completely unconditionally. It was truly a thing to behold.

“Uh huh,” I admitted encouragingly, eager to get them from the room. “Why don’t you go find him and ask him?”

“Okay!” she chirped cheerily, delicately balancing her bowl on top of the tray as I tracked down my last few bites of cereal. She scooted over to the edge of the bed, to lower herself to the floor, and exclaimed, looking down, “Oh!”

In the brief instant between this exclamation and when Natalie held up her prize to show me, I knew what it was, and this awful realization was accompanied by a sinking heart and a flutter of panic.

“Look!” Natalie exclaimed to me, holding up Bane’s shoes. I struggled to keep my expression light as I inwardly berated myself. Stupid, stupid, stupid not to remember the shoes. Almost no point in hiding him, when I’m so sloppy with the details. Get a grip, Deirdre. “I’ll clean these up for you,” she promised, still trying to flatter me into saying yes, even though I’d already dusted my hands of the whole affair.

Even my false impassive expression failed as Natalie made her way towards the closet, the most logical place to be “cleaning up” a pair of shoes. Words caught in my throat, and I all but chocked on them, unable to stop what was happening. My hand was half extended as hers touched, turned, pulled on the doorknob.

A very sheepish looking Bane bit his lip and caught my eye. I felt my cheeks burn, probably turning an ashy grey of shock. Natalie’s eyes widened, and she grinned, looking positively delighted. “Found you, Bane!”

Flicking his eyes from me to the small girl standing at his feet, Bane asked in a manner not nearly innocent enough, “What?”

“Hide and seek!” Natalie squeaked in her small voice. Lindsay nodded enthusiastically along, ever the eager counterpart to her sister’s theories.

Bane’s face suddenly lit up in condescending understanding.

“Right,” he encouraged, so convincing an actor that if I didn’t know better, I’d have believed him, too. “You found me, Nat. Good job!”

Natalie smiled hugely, obviously pleased with herself. I didn’t trust myself to attempt a smile, instead ducking my head, suddenly very engaged with my cereal bowl. My hair fell in unkempt curtains on either side of my face, hiding me from Bane and co. I’ve never been much of a good liar.

“Thanks, Bane.” If nothing else, those girls were plenty polite. “Will you take me to Jessica’s? Please? Mommy said I could go, before she left. You know I always go! Please, Baney?”

Now the hair hid my smile. “Sure, Natalie,” Bane affirmed, his voice comically deep after his sister’s. “Deirdre?” I looked up. His eyes had a gleam in them, inviting me to share in the joke. “I’m gonna take Nat over to her friend’s house, okay?”

He was, I could see, terribly amused by the whole situation. I rather suspected that he’d only gone along with my plans for him to hide in the rush of things. Honestly, sometimes that boy was simply too much.

My tone was nothing if not bemused. “Of course. Lindsay and I will play while you’re gone, right, Lindsay?”

She clapped her hands excitedly. “Can we play hide and seek? Please? Please?” I nodded, nearly giggling at her enthusiasm.

Bane laughed outright. “See you when I get back, then.” That promise sounded good.
-------------
comments?

Love,

#97 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

Lolz! It changed my curse from sh.it to "crap".

Which is why there's no capital letter.

Giggles.

Love,

#98 princess2293

princess2293

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

lol. I hate it when it changes my curse words! They just add lots of emphisis on a story, lol.

That was great! Too bad there wasn't more Bane + Deirdre fluff. :(

But when I saw the 'Don't hate me.' at the beginning, I was expecting much worse. lol. Like Brunette Girl showing up or something. :P

But it was wonderful, Gracey, and you need to update soon!

Hope.(With.Love.)

(I think our thread got deleted for the tag-team. :( If you still want to do it, just let me know. [:)

#99 noleey

noleey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:12 AM

That was great, Gracey :)

I hope your work load's lightened!

Update soon!

Nicole :mgbubblegum:

#100 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:27 PM

Gracey, darling, I can't tell you how much I loved that update.

It was too amazing.

Lindsay and Natalie are adorable, if I havent said so already, I would love to have them as little sisters!

And the Hide & Seek? Nice touch! It's really realistic, but not predictable.

Update again, soon!

Luuuuurve, Ami . . X

#101 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

lol. I hate it when it changes my curse words! They just add lots of emphisis on a story, lol.

That was great! Too bad there wasn't more Bane + Deirdre fluff. :(

But when I saw the 'Don't hate me.' at the beginning, I was expecting much worse. lol. Like Brunette Girl showing up or something. :P

But it was wonderful, Gracey, and you need to update soon!

Hope.(With.Love.)

(I think our thread got deleted for the tag-team. :( If you still want to do it, just let me know. [:)

I'm sorry, Hope, I really can't right now. I'm barely dealing with what I've got, and God knows I've been neglecting this story. :(

That was great, Gracey :)

I hope your work load's lightened!

Update soon!

Nicole :mgbubblegum:

It isn't. :P
But thanks.

Gracey, darling, I can't tell you how much I loved that update.

It was too amazing.

Lindsay and Natalie are adorable, if I havent said so already, I would love to have them as little sisters!

And the Hide & Seek? Nice touch! It's really realistic, but not predictable.

Update again, soon!

Luuuuurve, Ami . . X

Thanks lotses, Ami! :heartbeat:

Would anyone believe that I got assigned another project today? If I said that, would you believe that my life is just God's epic joke?

That's kind of what I feel like.

Love,

#102 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:45 AM

Thanks lotses, Ami! :heartbeat:

Would anyone believe that I got assigned another project today? If I said that, would you believe that my life is just God's epic joke?

That's kind of what I feel like.

Love,

*dies of shock*

My gosh, do they NEVER give you a break!?

But, your life isn't just God's epic joke, you are sweet, funny, fantastic, intellegent, clever and everything that is good in this world, so why would God do that to you?

You've just been unlucky school-work-wise :( I hope things get better, I really, honestly do :D

:heartbeat:

Luuuuuuurve, Ami . . X

#103 I'm Jesse's Gurl

I'm Jesse's Gurl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:18 AM

Loved it Gracey!

Amazing!

Lindsey and Natalie are just sooooo cute!
Bless them!

Update Again Soon!

#104 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

*dies of shock*

My gosh, do they NEVER give you a break!?

But, your life isn't just God's epic joke, you are sweet, funny, fantastic, intellegent, clever and everything that is good in this world, so why would God do that to you?

You've just been unlucky school-work-wise :( I hope things get better, I really, honestly do :D

:heartbeat:

Luuuuuuurve, Ami . . X

No, you see, Ami, that's why it's funny. Because I keep trying, and they keep throwing things my way. Which makes it hilarious.

But I've almost finished my English-class novelette. Which means I can write for DotS again soon.

Love y'all.

Love,

#105 rockdiva007

rockdiva007

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:25 AM

*New Reader*

This story is so good, I don't even know what to say. Seriously.

Except for 'update soon!', of course.

Parasmita :icon_geek:

#106 sh-az

sh-az

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:44 AM

awesome, amazing story!!

update soon
shazXx

**new reader**

#107 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

Thanks, guys. Sorry the story has been going to slowly recently. I'm just swamped.

I'll update soon, I promise.

Love,

#108 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

No, you see, Ami, that's why it's funny. Because I keep trying, and they keep throwing things my way. Which makes it hilarious.

But I've almost finished my English-class novelette. Which means I can write for DotS again soon.

Love y'all.

Love,

Awww, bless. I really hope they do stop throwing things at you :(

Ooh, well done for the novelette!

Cant wait for the update!

Luuuuurve, Ami . . X

#109 Cabot~Fan

Cabot~Fan

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:03 PM

Gracey! I haven't been on here in forever and I didn't read the last two updates and I have to say they were absolutely freaking fantastic and I can't believe I actually stayed away from the computer for that long...

Anyways, I still love this story and I did not forget about you (although you probably forgot about me, with me not commenting at all...) and please please please update soon!

-Chelsie- ♥

#110 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

Awww, bless. I really hope they do stop throwing things at you :(

Ooh, well done for the novelette!

Cant wait for the update!

Luuuuurve, Ami . . X

Thanks, Ami. I was actually fond of the ending, because it really WASNT an ending, which was the point, because from the beginning the main character didn't see anything as anything but an ending...

But that doesn't make sense, because you haven't read it.

Gracey! I haven't been on here in forever and I didn't read the last two updates and I have to say they were absolutely freaking fantastic and I can't believe I actually stayed away from the computer for that long...

Anyways, I still love this story and I did not forget about you (although you probably forgot about me, with me not commenting at all...) and please please please update soon!

-Chelsie- ♥

Chelsie, I could never forget you, goose. And I"m glad you liked them.

Love,

#111 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

^ How long was your novelette?

You could post it here, right? If you wanted to, or unless you wrote it all...

Luuuurve, Ami . . X

#112 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:25 AM

wrote it all by hand*

Luuuuurve, Ami . . X

#113 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

^ How long was your novelette?

You could post it here, right? If you wanted to, or unless you wrote it all...

Luuuurve, Ami . . X

Not by hand. And fifty pages, double spaced. That was the requirement.

Yeah, I guess I could post it here. I might, during the summer.

Maybe.

Love,

#114 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

Helloooo Gracey!

So sorry that I've missed on commenting two fabulous chapters of yours! On the second last chapter, I think Mel says it best when she said:

HOW CAN THEY NOT REALIZE THEY WERE MAKING TELEPATHIC LOVE TO ONE AND OTHER ON THAT BED?
You know they were Gracey. I know you know.
and the chin stroking?? You. Are. Driving. Me. Insane. I'm having an uncontrollable Banegasm here everytime I read about one of his unbelievably seductive moves like elbow kissing or chin stroking or cheek touching. The boy is such a tease.

Ahhhhhhhh! I know, I know! My goodness, I needed the air conditioners and all to calm me down. Even then, I wasn't cool or calm. I feel like I'm withering away, my dear Gracey. Bane and Deirdre and how they skirt around each other is driving me insane. I'm thinking Bane + Deirdre + Bed = Major, major kissing episode. Maybe, you could work that in for future chapters? Oooo! Just have a chapter that's just them - Shirtless Bane and Gorgeous (yet clothed) Deirdre - pashing like crazy. That would be nice ... :lol:

And, then this latest chapter ... Eeeeeeeeee! The girls so need to get into more matchmaking modes and push these wo inevitably intertwined peoples together, forever. I feel like bursting into song - "together, forever, together, forever." Yeah ... you gotta sing it, sista (or else it just turns lame ... :lol: )!

Please, please, please update soon, my dear Gracey! Well, whenever you're not drowning under a pile of work. Good luck with all that work, by the way!

Lots of :heartbeat: always!

ali :D

#115 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:37 AM

I loved it. It was so cute. :lol:
Please update soon.

Love,

Kati :cat:

#116 its-fashion

its-fashion

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

*New reader*

I love this story. Deirdre and Bane's relationship is so cute. I love the little girls they make things so funny.

Update soon.

--Courtney--

#117 I'm Jesse's Gurl

I'm Jesse's Gurl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

Since Nano has been Locked I've decided to reply to this comment here...

^Geez, Catie. That's ridiculous. Seriously, you are like my guru.

I aspire to that greatness. I'm ridiculously well-viewed by teachers.

Darn.

Love,

Awwwww! Your Guru? Really? Yay!

Haha! Most of my Teachers Hate me. I have a hard life. I'd Love to be well-veiwed with all of my teachers. Especailly my English teacher. He seriously has something against me and my brother!

:D

Update Soon Gracey!
Oh and give Elmo a Huge Hug from Me.
I miss him... and you. * Huggles Gracey *
It's been a long time since Julia's thread.
* Sniffs *

[x] ~ Catie ~ [x]

Save the Bees, Save the World!

#118 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:26 PM

Thanks to any and all new readers. And thanks to all my readers for not crucifying me for updating so rarely.

Helloooo Gracey!

So sorry that I've missed on commenting two fabulous chapters of yours! On the second last chapter, I think Mel says it best when she said:
Ahhhhhhhh! I know, I know! My goodness, I needed the air conditioners and all to calm me down. Even then, I wasn't cool or calm. I feel like I'm withering away, my dear Gracey. Bane and Deirdre and how they skirt around each other is driving me insane. I'm thinking Bane + Deirdre + Bed = Major, major kissing episode. Maybe, you could work that in for future chapters? Oooo! Just have a chapter that's just them - Shirtless Bane and Gorgeous (yet clothed) Deirdre - pashing like crazy. That would be nice ... :lol:

And, then this latest chapter ... Eeeeeeeeee! The girls so need to get into more matchmaking modes and push these wo inevitably intertwined peoples together, forever. I feel like bursting into song - "together, forever, together, forever." Yeah ... you gotta sing it, sista (or else it just turns lame ... :lol: )!

Please, please, please update soon, my dear Gracey! Well, whenever you're not drowning under a pile of work. Good luck with all that work, by the way!

Lots of :heartbeat: always!

ali :D

Well, I hate to be of any inconvenience, but if you needed a fan for that, you'll definitely need a fan in upcoming updates. There's some...developments. I'm not saying anything else.

Since Nano has been Locked I've decided to reply to this comment here...
[x] ~ Catie ~ [x]

Nano has been locked?! When did this happen?!
:cries:

Well, :huggles:. It has been too long since Julia's thread. We could mob her again, but I doubt she'd appreciate it.
:P

Also, I've decided to bribe you all. :D
--------------------------------
Natalie had been all ready for the day; Lindsay, I’d had to dress. When she was ready in the pink jumper that she chose (she took great pride in informing me that she could pick her own clothes now), we made our way down to the living room, which was, apparently, the headquarters for hide and seek. The poor little thing was so excited that she got to play with me all by herself (I couldn’t say I saw the appeal) that she was bouncing all around the room, fit to burst.

“This is how we play,” she said with all proper seriousness, as though I wasn’t well versed in the rules. “I go hide, and then you find me. And then I’ll hide, and you’ll go find me. And then if you find me, I’ll go find you where you hide.”

Lindsay, it seemed, got a free turn. Not that I begrudged her for it—she was five.

“Want me to count to thirty?” That seemed like a reasonable number, both giving her enough time to hide, but not enough to get bored before I started looking. I lounged casually in the doorway of the room, coolly surveying my exuberant little charge.

At my words, Lindsay froze, eyes growing wide. “You can count high,” she breathed, appropriately amazed with my skills. I’m sure my Calculus teacher would be just as impressed. “I can only count to seventeen.” She twisted her tiny mouth ruefully, stormy eyes wrinkling in disappointment. I really didn’t know how to reply to that. Suddenly, she perked up again. “Oh, but you’re big, and I’m little, and that means I’ll learn to count high, too!”

I patted the little blonde head absently as it came to stand next to me. “Yes, you will. Probably even higher.” She gave a delighted little shiver at the thought—oh, to be so easily pleased. “So I’ll count to thirty, and you go hide, okay?”

After nodding eagerly, dragging me to the couch, and telling me to start counting, she scampered off. I closed my eyes, keeping a slow count in my head, and listened. This was a big house, and I was severely outflanked by Lindsay’s knowledge of all its nooks and crannies. All in all, we were pretty evenly matched in this game, given said knowledge and her size, and my ability to reason…and to count past seventeen.

Almost as if she knew my tricks, Lindsay was absolutely silent as she chose her hiding spot. I’d heard her gleeful ascent of the stairs, but after that, nothing. Absolutely nothing. I reached my allotted number with no idea where she’d gone.

Mounting the stairs, I kept my breathing shallow to catch any sounds that Lindsay might let escape her. Perhaps it wasn’t fair of me to use all my skill against a five-year-old, but I didn’t want to have her be hiding for too long. I assumed that would get boring.

At the top of the staircase, I paused. My room was still closed tight, and the doorknob was a little tough to open, so she couldn’t be in there. So that left still four rooms in this hallway… Except the door to Natalie and Lindsay’s room was open.

Gotcha.

Shockingly, this was fun. I was playing games with a little girl with a handicap, and it was the most fun I’d had in a long time. As I tiptoed into the room, I whispered, “Lindsay… I know you’re here. Where are you?” Oh boy, now I was teasing. Where was this all coming from?

From the corner came a giggle. Finally, something that I could locate. Playing along, I purposefully looked under the bed, and in the closet—all the places that I knew Lindsay was not. The big teddy bear in the corner shook with laughter, and after a few minutes, I snatched it up off Lindsay, much to her delight.

As she leaped to her feet, I grabbed her in a hug, spinning her around in a circle. She shrieked her laughter, clinging to my neck. I let myself laugh along with her, swept up in loving this little girl.

Oh, Lord.

I couldn’t tell which shocked me more, that sudden, impulsive thought or the sight of Bane lounging against the doorframe, eyeing us with shocked laughter. I stopped suddenly, my heart practically leaping out of my chest. Lindsay wriggled out of my arms.

“Looks like someone’s having fun,” Bane muttered, staring straight at me. I trembled. This wasn’t fair; this wasn’t right. Impulsively, I felt the need to hit him, to hate him for bringing me into his life with a snide comment and a smile. I’d gotten so caught up in it, reeled in by the magazine’s hook, and then stayed to eat the whole worm. And now I was stuck.

“We’re playing hide-and-seek,” affirmed the endlessly cheerful little girl. “Do you want to play?” A terrible, burning feeling in the pit of my stomach raged with my thoughts.

Bane ruffled his sister’s hair, much like I had done not too long ago. So apparently he’d snapped out of whatever had been making him look like he’d been slapped—I suspected my laugh was the culprit. “Sorry, Linnie. I’m busy. Daniel came home with me.”

“Daniel!” Lindsay exclaimed, already halfway out the door. “I’ll go say hi!” And then she was gone.

Carefully unfolding himself from the doorway, Bane took a step forward. “You laughed,” he muttered, half a smile crossing his face. “You didn’t hide it. You just…laughed.” He shook his head, as if to clear his thoughts.

Biting down on my lip, I muttered, “So?” my words muffled.

Again Bane ventured forward, placing his hands on my shoulders. “It’s different. It’s nice. You’re usually so stoic, so quiet and reserved.” Ha! He thought I was reserved with him? With Bane I was more open than with anyone else, including the people I lived with. Silly boy had it backwards. “I can’t say I don’t like the change.”

He was standing close, close enough that I could feel his body heat from my stomach to my shoulders. My head was tilted back to account for the several-inch gap in our heights, and the whole thing felt personal, intimate.

“Deirdre, about yesterday…”

Clomping feet came up the stairs, accompanied by Lindsay’s gleeful chatter. A low bass rumbling echoed behind it. Suddenly our positions felt too intimate, too personal, and I tensed instinctively. Feeling this tension, Bane dropped his hands and stepped back, turning towards the door.

Certain I was blushing, I ducked my head, glaring down at hands that I balled into fists. The whole thing looked intensely suspicious, I was sure.

The noise stopped at the doorway. “Linnie was telling me all about who I would find up here,” declared a deep, amused voice. “Apparently it’s you—really special and big and nice, are you, Bane?. And then she said that up here with you is a pretty girl who’s living here. And you know I had to come up at that.” His laughter was thunder.

I refused to look up. I absolutely refused. My mind was already aflutter over my feelings for Lindsay—which needed to be squashed, immediately or perhaps before that—and I didn’t need to be assaulted by the teasing advances of some stupid friend of Bane’s.

“Aw, leave her alone, Daniel,” Bane protested. “Do you really have to mess with everyone?”

Daniel made a grunting, laughing noise at the back of his throat. “Dude, you know that what I did to you was fuc.king priceless. You can’t still be pissed about that.”

Admittedly, at this point I looked up. This sounded like a story that I wanted to hear, cursing aside. Bane noticed my look and winced.

“Not in front of Lindsay,” he warned. “And watch your language. Deirdre doesn’t like it, either.” Ah, so I was being used as a bargaining chip. Well, that was always fun.

For the first time, despite the “pretty girl” comment, Daniel looked in my direction. “Hey,” he said, pointing at me, “don’t I know you from somewhere? You look familiar.”

I stared back at him dumbly. I wasn’t sure how to handle this huge, cursing bear of a boy. “She’s gone to school with you for like a decade,”
Bane commented scathingly. “Maybe that’s it.”

He laughed. “Nah, I don’t notice anyone at school.” Well, there was a redeeming quality. “Maybe, I’ve like, met you or something?” I shrugged slightly, feeling all my bravado leak away, slipping through the chinks in my armor. I’d built up immunity to Bane, but this boy was another strain of the illness entirely. Perhaps Cooper’s nicknames hadn’t been entirely inappropriate.

Bane took a step closer, ever my protector. “She’s Katy Donnelley’s cousin. You’re friends with, Katy, right?”

As soon as Bane said it, my eyes met Daniel’s in understanding of the familiarity. Daniel and Katy had been friends since even before I had moved in—actually, they had been much better friends in their childhood. He had dated my cousin briefly in middle school, and hadn’t really hung around the house much since then, even though he was still a friend. And he’d changed quite a bit, physically, since the days when he hung around; this Daniel was more bear than boy.

“Right!” he roared, coming towards me, arms spread wide as if to sweep me up into a hug. “Little cousin Deirdre!”

In the same nanosecond that I took an involuntary step backwards, Bane situated himself firmly between Daniel and me. Daniel looked puzzled. “Don’t,” Bane warned in a low, threatening tone. Now I felt puzzled.

But I also felt a rush of laced gratitude at this. Though Bane’s actions were puzzling, recently—since Chicago, really—they weren’t completely unwelcome. My feelings towards his family, however, were completely inappropriate. And, worse, I was trapped in the house for two days more.
-------------------------
comments?

So I got a chance to write today for the first time in like forever. I'm going to work some more on this. I want to be done with it. I'm not even close.

Love,

#119 princesskate14

princesskate14

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:42 PM

She's becoming attached to other people!!! YAY! I love Lindsay. She's adorable. And Bane... Ah, so protective and adorable, and smexy, and...just deliciousness. *sighs dreamily* Deirdre is so blind, but she's Deirdre and it's to be expected.

Lovely update, Gracey. :D

Update again really soon, please?

Much love,
Katie

#120 hockeyfan

hockeyfan

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

Lovely as usual Gracy!

Lindsay is my hero...and Bane my protector.

...Huh. Maybe I should take up freestyle poetry :P

sarah :D

#121 noleey

noleey

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:42 AM

Hah.

Awesome, as per usual :)

Update soon!

Nicole

#122 rockdiva007

rockdiva007

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:32 AM

It was ________ (insert an adjective which means really, really, really great here), Gracey! Bane is so protective. Not to mention hot.

Update whenever you can!

Love,

#123 :)paige(:

:)paige(:

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

oh my god
UPDATE ARHHH
LOL

Paige
xxxx

#124 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:47 PM

Oh My Gosh!

That has soo made my day!

Gracey, I absolutely adored that chapter <3

Diedre, well, I'm glad she's opening up :) Things could get interesting soon... *hint hint* *wink wink* *cough* DierdreAndBaneBeginToRealiseHiddenFeelingAboutEachOtherInAnEmptyCupboardWhenTheTwinsAreOutAndRevealTheirUndyingLoveForEachOther.... *cough*

Bane. Give the guy a medal! Honestly, if I were Dierdre, I would've had a internal dither. He's so adorably protective towards her, it's soo cute!

Daniel... Well, at the start when he came in to the chapter, I didnt really like him. Mostly because he swore when he knew Lindsay was in the house. A mega no-no. But then, when he ackknowledged her - eventually! - I quite liked him. But, it did take him a bit of time, which would've annoyed me if I were in Dierdre's position.

Anyway, I completely loved the update to bits.

I really appreciate you updating, even though you're extremely busy!

Good luck with all the work!

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

Luuuuurve, Ami . . X

#125 I'm Jesse's Gurl

I'm Jesse's Gurl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

Nano has been locked?! When did this happen?!
:cries:

Well, :huggles:. It has been too long since Julia's thread. We could mob her again, but I doubt she'd appreciate it.
:P

Yes. It's been Locked. Yesterday I think. Admin Julie locked it. Apparently it's too much of a chat hread. * Cries * Poor Nano Thread. Oh how I will miss thee.

* Huggles * Yes I've missed Julia's Stories. I think the only one of her's at the moment that I can strill get into is, obviously, The Other Side. Amazing. She had better still be updating it. I want to know how she's changed the ending. The last one was just too mean and she can't leave it like that! Yes! Let's Mob her. Though I don't think she'd like it but I'm sure she'd be glad to see us again. I bet she's missed us just like weve missed her.

That was an amazing chapter. I Loved it! Awwww! That was so sweet of Bane to stop Daniel from hugging Diedre. For some reason I couldn't imagine her ever knowing someone so full of life. It's strange really. Diedre does make me laugh. And Bane... Oh is he hilarious. Bless Him. He thinks that Diedre is shut off from him. I think he needs to watch how she treats everyone else.

Do you know how many more chapters you expect to post? Please say it's quite a few. I Love this story. Though I don't want it to end... I just can't wait for the end. I want to know how it ends! Lol

Update Soon!

[x] ~ Catie ~ [x]

#126 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

She's becoming attached to other people!!! YAY! I love Lindsay. She's adorable. And Bane... Ah, so protective and adorable, and smexy, and...just deliciousness. *sighs dreamily* Deirdre is so blind, but she's Deirdre and it's to be expected.

Lovely update, Gracey. :D

Update again really soon, please?

Much love,
Katie

I'll update soonish, promise. I do have a soft spot for Lindsay, too, I admit.

Lovely as usual Gracy!

Lindsay is my hero...and Bane my protector.

...Huh. Maybe I should take up freestyle poetry :P

sarah :D

You definitely should. :P

Hah.

Awesome, as per usual :)

Update soon!

Nicole

Thanks!

It was ________ (insert an adjective which means really, really, really great here), Gracey! Bane is so protective. Not to mention hot.

Update whenever you can!

Love,

Thanks! You're _________ (insert same adjective), too!

oh my god
UPDATE ARHHH
LOL

Paige
xxxx

Don't expect one TOO soon.

Oh My Gosh!

That has soo made my day!

Gracey, I absolutely adored that chapter <3

Diedre, well, I'm glad she's opening up :) Things could get interesting soon... *hint hint* *wink wink* *cough* DierdreAndBaneBeginToRealiseHiddenFeelingAboutEachOtherInAnEmptyCupboardWhenTheTwinsAreOutAndRevealTheirUndyingLoveForEachOther.... *cough*

Bane. Give the guy a medal! Honestly, if I were Dierdre, I would've had a internal dither. He's so adorably protective towards her, it's soo cute!

Daniel... Well, at the start when he came in to the chapter, I didnt really like him. Mostly because he swore when he knew Lindsay was in the house. A mega no-no. But then, when he ackknowledged her - eventually! - I quite liked him. But, it did take him a bit of time, which would've annoyed me if I were in Dierdre's position.

Anyway, I completely loved the update to bits.

I really appreciate you updating, even though you're extremely busy!

Good luck with all the work!

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

Luuuuurve, Ami . . X

You do realize that if anything happened in the capacity of what you're asking for, then the novel would be over?

Neither Deirdre nor I are ready, yet.

Yes. It's been Locked. Yesterday I think. Admin Julie locked it. Apparently it's too much of a chat hread. * Cries * Poor Nano Thread. Oh how I will miss thee.

* Huggles * Yes I've missed Julia's Stories. I think the only one of her's at the moment that I can strill get into is, obviously, The Other Side. Amazing. She had better still be updating it. I want to know how she's changed the ending. The last one was just too mean and she can't leave it like that! Yes! Let's Mob her. Though I don't think she'd like it but I'm sure she'd be glad to see us again. I bet she's missed us just like weve missed her.

That was an amazing chapter. I Loved it! Awwww! That was so sweet of Bane to stop Daniel from hugging Diedre. For some reason I couldn't imagine her ever knowing someone so full of life. It's strange really. Diedre does make me laugh. And Bane... Oh is he hilarious. Bless Him. He thinks that Diedre is shut off from him. I think he needs to watch how she treats everyone else.

Do you know how many more chapters you expect to post? Please say it's quite a few. I Love this story. Though I don't want it to end... I just can't wait for the end. I want to know how it ends! Lol

Update Soon!

[x] ~ Catie ~ [x]

Well, it was totally a chat thread, at the end there.

Also, I have a long way to go. I'm not sure how many "chapters" it'll take, or how many updates, but it should be a while. Sorry about that.

Love,

#127 rockdiva007

rockdiva007

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

Are you done with school, Gracey?

Love,

#128 Ami

Ami

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

You do realize that if anything happened in the capacity of what you're asking for, then the novel would be over?

Neither Deirdre nor I are ready, yet.

Ah, my bad. I didnt actually think about that <_<

And I certainly dont want DotS to be over!

Luuuuuuurve, Ami . . X

#129 I'm Jesse's Gurl

I'm Jesse's Gurl

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

Well, it was totally a chat thread, at the end there.

Also, I have a long way to go. I'm not sure how many "chapters" it'll take, or how many updates, but it should be a while. Sorry about that.

Love,

Yes I agree it was a chat thread by the end. Lol But it was such an amazing thread. * Sniffs * Now where do I get to go when I want to have a conversation with anyone? Where?

Okay. I think that I can wait for a bit. I don't mind waiting for the ending as long as it's worht it. Hehe! * Smiles * And you know what good endings mean for me... Lol.

Lots and Lots of Love for Gracey and Elmo,

[x] ~ Catie ~ [x]

#130 SoccerRules

SoccerRules

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

lol! He saved her from a big bone-crushing hug!
Priceless!
Getting a little jealous there Bane, no?
lol.
Cerra

#131 peanut_butter

peanut_butter

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:09 PM

Are you done with school, Gracey?

Love,

:laughs so hard she nearly pukes:

Four weeks from this past Friday will be my first day of vacation.

I still have eight gagillion things to do before school ends.

Love,

#132 P.O.G_Wannabee

P.O.G_Wannabee

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:15 AM

Oh goodness Gracey. We got out on the 23rd of May.

BUMP

Update when you can.

ml- Diana

#133 soccerforwardnumba10

soccerforwardnumba10

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

Yeah, I'm already out too . . . poor Gracey. Well, that update was the BEST!! God, I love Lindsay and Bane is so protective.

Ha, update soon!!

~sapna :spinstar:

#134 rockdiva007

rockdiva007

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

I've been out since the 27th of March.

Update ASAP!

Love,