Photo

Teardrops On My Guitar

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

Poll: Teardrops On My Guitar (95 member(s) have cast votes)

How is it?

1. Awesome! I love it! (85 votes [89.47%])

Percentage of vote: 89.47%

2. ...It's okay (6 votes [6.32%])

Percentage of vote: 6.32%

3. It stinks (4 votes [4.21%])

Percentage of vote: 4.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:21 PM

Hi, everyone! This is my first story on here, and I hope you like it.

I just want to say that I might not be the best updater in the world, but I'll do my best to update at the very least, once a week.

Oh, and if you have any cc, I'd love to hear it!

I stink at summaries, so I'll let the prologue speak for itself. Note: there will be fluff later on! ;)

Teardrops on My Guitar

Prologue
“Drew looks at me, I fake a smile so he won’t see
That I want and I’m needing everything that we should be”

Why does time seem to slow down when you’re waiting? I wondered as I stared at the hospital’s waiting room clock. I wished that I had my iPod with me, or my guitar, although people might look at me funny if I started playing it in a hospital waiting room. Anything to stop the boredom and keep me from thinking about why I was there would work.

I sighed and looked at my mom. She smiled at me reassuringly. At least, she tried to. I could tell that she was bored too, and more than a little nervous, although she was trying not to let me see.

“Amy McDonald?” A kindly looking nurse stood in the doorway. Mom and I stood up, and she gestured for us to follow. “This way, please.”

We followed her through several hallways of doctor’s offices that smelled like, well, a hospital. The hallways were rather boring and quiet. It seemed as if we were walking forever when we finally reached our destination: a doctor’s office that, truthfully, looked like all the others on the floor. The only thing that set it apart was a plaque on the door that said:

Dr. Robert Black

The nurse ushered us in, saying, “Doctor Black will be right here- oh, here he is.” She was right. Dr. Black walked in, closing the door behind him. He was about six feet tall and thin, with a short beard and black hair that had specks of gray in it. He looked to be in his mid-40’s. The doctor sat on a short stool, while Mom and I took the hard plastic chairs, you know, the kind you can never get comfortable in.

“I’m afraid I have some bad news,” Dr. Black said, after clearing his throat. “Amy, the tests tell us that you have a rare form of skin cancer- melanoma. The only thing we can do is perform a surgery that may not work. If you want that, then the soonest I can get a team of qualified doctors together is a month from now. Luckily, we caught it early. You are very lucky that your doctor noticed something. However, if you don’t want to do the operation, you probably will not live to see your seventeenth birthday.”

My sixteenth birthday is in a little over a month.

~~~

The song at the beginning is "Teardrops on My Guitar" by Taylor Swift, off her self-titled album. The album came out last year, and the song was released this year.

Emily :icon_flower:

#2 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

Heya!

Congratulations on posting your first story here! And, thanks for putting in that disclaimer! If you ever have any questions, need any editing/locking/deleting/adding 'complete' done, discuss mature content within your story, etc., please don't hesitate to give Tephy or me a shout in the Support sticky.

Congratulations and many thanks!

ali :D

#3 12Bandgeek21

12Bandgeek21

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

OHMIGOSH!
that is so sad.
please go on.

ö shay

#4 *sweet_dreamer*

*sweet_dreamer*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

Emily, This is AMAZING!!! {ok capslock done}

First off Congrats on posting your first story. Second of all it's freaking awesome. And really sad.

Trés bon.

Update soon!

.:Ash:.

#5 Legally_Brunette_60164

Legally_Brunette_60164

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

Oh, my God! This story is great!!!!!! Please update again soon.

Kayleigh :elmo:

#6 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

Thanks, everyone!

I know it seems sad now, but don't worry, it gets better. Much better.

Because I'm feeling generous today, here's an update.

Chapter 1
“I’ll bet she’s beautiful, that girl he talks about
And she’s got everything that I’ve had to live without”

I was sitting in the living room one day in early August, a few days after that fateful day at the hospital, reading a book and listening to my iPod when the doorbell rang.

“Can you get that, Amy? My hands are kind of full with the cake.” Mom called from the kitchen.

“Sure, Mom.” I replied, closing my book and shutting off my iPod. I got up from the couch and went to get the door. Just as I was about to open it, I noticed my reflection in the mirror my mom had placed in the hall. There was something different about it. Sure, the elbow length brown hair and the gray eyes were the same. So was the outfit I had put on that morning- a pair of jeans and a purple Midnight Down tank top. But the expression on my face had changed drastically from just a week ago. I looked permanently worried instead of carefree, as I usually did.

I shook off my thoughts and opened the door to see a nice looking middle-aged woman with vivid red hair held back in a ponytail, carrying a clipboard in her hands. She was as small to me as a mouse is to an elephant. I towered over her, and I’m only five foot six.

“My name is Laurie Owen. I’m with the Make A Wish Foundation, and I’m looking for Amy McDonald.” Her name suited her. I was already mentally calling her Laurie. That’s just the kind of person she looked like. I could imagine her as a guidance counselor, trying to seem like a friend by insisting you call her by her first name.

“That’s me.” I smiled politely, my manners kicking in. “Would you like to come in?”

Laurie smiled back at me and said, “That would be lovely, if you don’t mind.”

I led her into the house, stopping to introduce her to Mom, who was baking a cake in the kitchen.

“Please, call me Laurie,”

“Nice to meet you. Let me just put this cake in the oven, and I’ll be right there.”

Laurie, who looked slightly taken aback at the sight of Mom in her Kiss the Cook apron- I have to admit, she does look kind of eccentric in that apron- recovered quickly, saying, “Oh, don’t let me bother you. I just want to do a kind of get to know you interview with Amy.”

“I don’t mind; I’m almost finished.”

This should be interesting, I thought, as I led Laurie into the living room and sat down on the couch.
“Mom cooks when she’s nervous or worried.” I said, smiling apologetically. “I don’t know why, though. She’s a much better lawyer than a cook.” My attempt at humor worked; she laughed.

Just then, my mom entered the room, thankfully without the apron. She sat down next to me, offering me moral support without saying a word. Laurie must have taken that as a sign to start, since she started explaining what the Make A Wish Foundation is and why she was here. Apparently someone had nominated me to get my wish granted. No doubt it had been Mom. After all, who else would have?

I listened to Laurie’s speech at first, but then I started zoning out. (Can you blame me? It was summer vacation, so my mind was taking a break paying attention) Finally, it wound down and she started asking me questions.

“What do you like to do in your free time?” Laurie wanted to know.

“I like to play my guitar and write songs.” I answered. I also like to sing, but nobody knows that, not even Mom.

“Really? How long have you been playing?”

“Since I was ten.”

“Do you like any particular kind of music best?”

“Definitely country all the way.” Mom rolled her eyes- she knew what was coming. “I hate stuff like rap and hip hop. I don’t think it counts as music, especially rap. Poetry to a beat is all it is. Country is real music. It expresses the thoughts and feelings of everyday people. I wish more people my age would listen to country. It’s a shame that they don’t. Most of them believe that it’s all twang and hick music, but it really isn’t.”

“Do you have a favorite artist?”

“Yeah. Midnight Down is the best. They have only been really popular for about a year and a half, but I have been in love with their music for about three years, since I first heard them do a radio tour. Matt, Jason, and Parker totally rock. They’re already headlining a tour.” As I spoke, I noticed Laurie taking notes.

“One last question. If you had one wish, what would you want to do?”

I thought for a moment before answering, although I already knew what I was going to say. “I would like to meet Midnight Down.”

That would definitely be my dream come true, but did Laurie have the power to make it happen?

“I’ll see what I can do.” said Laurie, standing up and shaking my hand. “It was nice meeting you, Amy. Good luck with the surgery.”

“Thank you.”

As she left, I wondered what the Make A Wish Foundation would do for me. I doubted that I would get to meet Matt, Jason, and Parker. I expected, at the most, a couple of concert tickets. If I was lucky, I might get to go backstage to meet them for a few minutes. I would have never even dreamed of what happened next. I was in for a big surprise.

~~~

#7 *sweet_dreamer*

*sweet_dreamer*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

That was so good!! I loved it Em (do you mind when people call you Em?) I have a theory...but I shall keep my theory to myself.

Update again soon ^_^

#8 Legally_Brunette_60164

Legally_Brunette_60164

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

I love it!!!! Update soon, again. Your a great writer, you should really continue this story.

#9 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

I don't mind if you call me Em... just not Emmie- I only let one of my best friends call me that.

I have a feeling I know what your theory is, and you're probably right. I'd love to hear it anyway!

An update will probably be up tomorrow!

#10 Legally_Brunette_60164

Legally_Brunette_60164

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

Yay! can't wait till tomorrow.!!!

#11 Esdroper

Esdroper

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:06 PM

Really good,

I can't wait to see what happens.

I hate cancer, it kills so many people. I hope she can it over it. My great grandma is a 21 year survier.

*Natalie*

#12 12Bandgeek21

12Bandgeek21

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

Em, it's awesome!
if i could have one wish...it would be...um. i dunno.
what would yours be, people?

ö shay

#13 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:07 PM

Kayleigh- Thanks so much! :blush:

Natalie- That's great that your grandmother is a survivor!

Shay- I don't know what my wish would be. Have you thought of anything?

#14 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:09 PM

^Sorry for double posting, but I meant great grandmother!

#15 poohtickle123456

poohtickle123456

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:13 AM

Emily,

This is really a great story. Please keep posting more and I love how you incorporate Taylor Swift with "Teardrops on My Guitar". That is soooo cool. And I don't know if you just thought of this story, or if its based on your own experience perhaps with friend. I'm not trying to be pushie but something like that did happen than I'm very very sorry but if you just wrote to write than you know ignore that last part.GREAT JOB!!!
PLEASE keep posting,
~!~Danielle~!

#16 Dauntra_is_me

Dauntra_is_me

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

Hey there!
First off, I really like the way you write. The start was sad but not the cheesy, soppy sad that I detest. It had a lot of feeling which was great!
Second, good for Amy for liking country music! (Although I admit to only knowing Carrie Underwood and that woman who sings "Red neck girl" or something like that, LMAO) And I despise rap too so I'm obviously rooting for her!
Third, really good plot! I've never read any story on here that incorporates the Make a Wish foundation, yay for you!
lol
luv,
Maria

#17 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:01 AM

Danielle- The song is actually what gave me the idea for the story, and you'll see more of it later on. No, I've never actually gone through what Amy does.

Maria- Thanks! I hate that soppy kind of sad too. I also love country and despise rap. (You were thinking of "Redneck Woman" by Gretchen Wilson) Now you know another country singer- Taylor Swift! As for including the Make A Wish Foundation, I wasn't too sure about including it at first, because I didn't know too much about it, but a friend helped me out.

*drumroll* And here it is.. what you've all been waiting for... an update!

Chapter 2
“Drew talks to me, I laugh ‘cause it’s so damn funny
That I can’t even see anyone when he’s with me”

A couple days later, I was sitting in my room, playing my guitar. About a week had passed since Dr. Black had told me that I needed surgery, and I was still trying not to think about it. I only had three weeks or so until the operation.

I could tell that Mom was just as worried. She had been cooking nonstop for the past few days. As for me, I had been playing my guitar nonstop. Immersing myself in my music helped take my mind off what lay ahead. It also made for some pretty good songs, although they were all rather depressing.

There was a plus side to Mom’s continuous cooking, too. Our dinners had improved significantly. She’d almost stopped burning everything, which was a nice change.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the telephone ringing. I ignored it and continued playing. I had learned from experience that being interrupted while I was working on the instrumental part of a song wasn’t a good idea, because I tended to lose my train of thought, or whatever you want to call it. I was on the verge of finishing the song I was working on, too, so it was of vital importance that I didn’t get distracted.

Within a few minutes, I had forgotten about the phone. At least, until I heard my mom shriek from downstairs. It wasn’t an oh-I-saw-a-mouse shriek, though. It was more of an oh-my-god shriek, like that of an overexcited young girl at her first concert. Several minutes later, Mom called my name. Reluctantly, I put down my guitar and went down the stairs. Mom held the phone out to me. I took it, and put it to my ear.

“Hello?” I asked, more than a little confused.

“Hi, Amy. This is Laurie. I have some good news for you.”

~~~

I'm evil... a cliffie! Haha!

This is only the first half of chapter 2. If you get mad at me, I'll post the rest later.

#18 12Bandgeek21

12Bandgeek21

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

ö [this is my OMIGOSH face. lol]
see is actually going to go to the concert!
YEAH!!!!!

anyways, i still don't know what my wish would be. Maybe to meet the cast of Harry Potter. Now that would be awesome.

-shay

#19 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:31 PM

That would be awesome. Did you see the fifth movie yet? I can't wait- only a week till the last book comes out!

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it.

#20 12Bandgeek21

12Bandgeek21

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

i have seen the fifth movie.
loved it!
but they did cut out ALOT of the things i was kinda looking forward to seeing. though, it's still good.
and i can't wait either!!!!

if i get mad at you...will you update tonight. lmao.

-shay

#21 Britt~Britt

Britt~Britt

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

**new reader**

great story
i think laurie is getting her a chance to meet Midnight Down (i hope thats what they're called)
i hope she overcomes the surgery too

UPDATE SOON!!
britt

#22 poohtickle123456

poohtickle123456

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

Hey,
It's Danielle again. Chapter 2 is really good. Keep posting. I think she'll get to meet Midnight Down...awesome....

~!~Danielle~!~

#23 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:47 PM

Well, you'll just have to see for yourselves. Here it is!

Hi, Britt!

“Hi, Amy. This is Laurie. I have some good news for you.”

“What is it?” I asked curiously.

“Well, I told Midnight Down’s manager, Terry Winslow, about your wish, and he said that he’d consult Jason, Matt, and Parker about it. You’re the first Make A Wish recipient who’s asked to meet them, and Terry thought that they might want to do something special for you. The next day, Mr. Winslow called me back and said that Matt, Parker, and Jason had decided to give you two front row seats for their concert in Manchester this weekend.”

“But it’s sold out!” I exclaimed.

“They save a couple front row seats for family of the band, but they decided you deserve them more. There’s more, too-”

“There’s more?!” I interrupted.

“Yes. I haven’t even gotten to the best part yet. Not ONLY are they sending a limo to pick you up, but when they heard that you play guitar and write songs, they decided you deserve the VIP treatment. Amy, you have been invited,” Laurie said excitedly, “to spend two weeks- seven tour dates- on the road with Midnight Down, hanging out with the guys and helping out behind the scenes. You even get to sleep on Alyssa Caroll’s bus.”

There was a stunned silence from my end, then, to my embarrassment, I screamed like my mom had earlier. It took all of my self-control to not jump up and down. Luckily, I caught myself after a moment and stopped. On the other end of the phone, Laurie was laughing.

“That’s right, girl! You don’t have to worry about your mom; she already said you could go. So go pack your bags! The limo picks you up at six p.m. on Friday night. Oh, and Amy,” Laurie added, “I’m supposed to tell you to bring your guitar.”

Quickly, I said good-bye and hung up. As I left the kitchen to go find my mom, who’d disappeared while I was talking to Laurie, I looked at the calendar on the wall. Today was Wednesday. The concert was in two days! How am I going to survive two whole days? I wondered.

~ ~ ~

That night, as I lay awake in bed, the house silent, Mom having already gone to bed, I thought about meeting Midnight Down, especially Parker. I had had a slight crush on him for as long as I had known the band. (Most girls have crushes on celebrities, okay? It’s not just me.) The last thought I had before falling asleep was, I wonder if Parker is as cute in person as he is in pictures.

~~~

#24 *sweet_dreamer*

*sweet_dreamer*

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:01 PM

Em, That was great!!!

My theory is growing :D yet still it shall remain to myself until I make sure I'm right...then I'll tell you ^_^

update again soon.

#25 12Bandgeek21

12Bandgeek21

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

i love it!
i wanna do that with somebody. lmao.
update soon!

-shay

#26 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:27 PM

I'll update tomorrow, if you want.

Ash- what's the fun in that? Tell me!

#27 12Bandgeek21

12Bandgeek21

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

YES!
update tommorow.
or maybe...if i get mad at you, will you update tonight.
just kidding. i gotta go to bed now. :]

looking forward for that update.
shay

#28 FabulousChick13

FabulousChick13

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:11 PM

*New Reader*

This story RULES!!! I can't wait for the next update!!

xo.:Mandi:.xo

#29 poohtickle123456

poohtickle123456

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:38 AM

Still hanging with it???? It's great!!!! Keep posting!!!
~!~Danielle~!~ :icon_flower:

#30 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

Hi, Mandi! :mgwave:

Okay, Midnight Down is based on a real band. They have a lot of things in common with their real-life counterparts (hint). So, whoever guesses the band correctly will get a... :fish:, :dog:, and :cat:

Here's the update!

Chapter 3
“He says he’s so in love, he’s finally got it right
I wonder if he knows he’s all I think about at night”

(“Teardrops on My Guitar”, Taylor Swift)

The next day found me spending some “Mother Daughter Time” watching a movie with-you guessed it-my mom. I know, not the most interesting thing to do in the world, but it’s not like I had anything better to do. I could tell I was bugging Mom with my endless chattering to her, obsessing over every little thing about my trip, so when she put on one of those romantic comedies she loves, I didn’t complain.

That was highly unusual for me, because Mom and I don’t have the same taste in movies at all. I like horror movies, or at least something with a lot of action. Romantic comedies are far out of my realm of comfort.

I decided to give the movie-How to lose a Guy in 10 Days-a try, though, mainly because I was bored out of my mind at that point. To my great astonishment, it wasn’t that bad. It actually made me laugh a few times.

When the movie was over, I went upstairs to pack my clothes. Needless to say, that didn’t take too long, although I did have a problem. I wasn’t sure whether or not to bring my Midnight Down tank top. It was my favorite shirt of all time, but I didn’t want to seem like I was a suck up.

Mom came into my room as I was agonizing over this decision. She held an envelope in her hand.

“Bring the shirt, Amy,” she said, nodding at my tank top.

“Um, okay,” I said, putting it in my suitcase, all the while thinking about how creepy it was that Mom had known what I was thinking.

When I voiced that thought, Mom raised her eyebrow and used the “I’m your mother” answer.

“So, what brings you here today, Mother?” I asked, teasing.

Mom looked serious as she sat down on my bed next to me. “This is for you,” she said, handing me the envelope.

“It’s from your dad. He wrote it just before he died, and asked me to give it to you on your sixteenth birthday. I know that’s still a few weeks away, but considering the circumstances, I’ve decided to give it to you now.”

~~~

Hope you like it!

#31 poohtickle123456

poohtickle123456

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:09 AM

Why did you have to end it there???? I want to know "is she going to die before her 16th birthday?" REALLY GOOD STORY!!! PLEASE PLEASE POST MORE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

~!~Danielle~!~ :mgwave:

#32 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

Heya!

Guys, please don't use all caps in your posts!

Many thanks!

ali :D

#33 FabulousChick13

FabulousChick13

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

Ahhh....I want another update!!! Please??? LOL

Loved IT!

xo.:Mandi:.xo

#34 Britt~Britt

Britt~Britt

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

eeeeeeeeek!!!! shes gonna see mighnigt downnnn. i think shes gonna fall in love w/ parker. rightttt????
i wonder what the letter says

UPDATE ASAP
you cant leave us hanging like that
britt

#35 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:45 PM

Danielle- Sorry, but your question won't be answered until the end. You're just going to have to read it and find out!

Britt- I'm not going to answer that question because a writer has to have some secrets (and I love torturing people) :D

Mandi- I'm glad you like it ^_^

I'll update later; probably about eight my time.

“Well, I told Midnight Down’s manager, Terry Winslow, about your wish, and he said that he’d consult Jason, Matt, and Parker about it. You’re the first Make A Wish recipient who’s asked to meet them, and Terry thought that they might want to do something special for you. The next day, Mr. Winslow called me back and said that Matt, Parker, and Jason had decided to give you two front row seats for their concert in Manchester this weekend.”

That would be Manchester, New Hampshire.

#36 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

Wow. I just realized that I left you guys with a pretty evil cliffy. Sorry about that.

~~~

Well, that explained the serious look on her face. Dad had died almost six years ago, when I was ten. It was a terrible loss for me, and messed me up for a while. Mom almost sent me to a therapist, but I got better on my own, so she didn’t have to, for which we were both grateful.

Dad’s death didn’t come as a shock. He had melanoma, which is probably the reason why I have it. He wasn’t as lucky as I am, though. The doctors didn’t find it until it had metastasized, and by then it was too late. He died just four months after his diagnosis.

I had always been much closer to Dad than Mom. We loved all the same things: roller coasters, horror movies, thunderstorms, and most importantly, country music. It was Dad who first taught me to play guitar at the tender age of six. We spent a lot of time together, writing songs and discussing music. In many ways, he was the best friend I never found at school.

“Thanks,” I said, taking the envelope.

“I’ll leave you alone,” Mom told me as she left the room. “If you need me, I’ll be downstairs.”

Well, this was it. The moment of truth. I opened the letter and read:

Dear Amy,
If you’re reading this, I must be dead and you must be sixteen. Happy birthday. Unfortunately, I can’t celebrate it with you, so this will have to do. If you’re anything like you were at ten, you’re probably wondering where your present is. Well, that is the whole purpose of this letter. I wanted to give you it before I died, but I thought you were too young to fully appreciate the gift. You’re probably wondering where it is. Go up to the attic and look for a back chest with a key in the lock. Your present is in there. It is my first guitar, and I want you to have it. Take good care of it, and enjoy it. Now it’s yours.
Dad

When I looked up, I had to wipe the tears from my eyes. That was so sweet of Dad. I could almost see him writing the letter. It must have been hard for him.

I followed Dad’s instructions and went up to the attic, which was all dusty. Neither Mom nor I had been up there in a while.

It didn’t take me too long to find the chest, because it was rather large. Dad was right- the key was in the lock. All I had to do was turn the key and open the chest, and I was looking at the most beautiful electric guitar I had ever seen. It was made of a really pretty light colored wood, and it shone like new. Obviously, Dad had kept it in mint condition.

I picked the guitar up and played a few notes. It needed a little tuning, but otherwise, it was in perfect condition.
Taking it with me, I went back to my room. I wanted to bring it with me, but decided against it in the end. I took my own acoustic guitar-which had flower stickers on it-instead. The last thing I wanted was to damage Dad’s old guitar.

Later, just before I fell asleep, I whispered, “I love it, Dad,” hoping he could hear me, wherever he was. It might have been my imagination, but I thought I heard him laugh softly in the second before I fell asleep.

~~~

Any cc or advice is, as always, appreciated if you have any.

#37 Legally_Brunette_60164

Legally_Brunette_60164

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:46 PM

*Wipes eyes* Great! While I was reading it, I was wiping my eyes too.

Kayleigh~

#38 Britt~Britt

Britt~Britt

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

Later, just before I fell asleep, I whispered, “I love it, Dad,” hoping he could hear me, wherever he was. It might have been my imagination, but I thought I heard him laugh softly in the second before I fell asleep.

^^ this part made me tear up. its so sad i cant believe her dad died like that :(

awesome update
update soon!!
britt

#39 12Bandgeek21

12Bandgeek21

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

WAHHHHH!
oh sorry. i just HAD to express that i was crying. hahaha.
anyways, i would have never gotten over my dad's death.
i am so jealous and proud that she did. i'm pretty much jealous of anyone like that.

well, update soon.
shay

#40 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:37 AM

I'm sorry I made you guys cry, but it was necessary. Don't worry, there aren't any more sad parts for a while.

Just so you know, the next chapter is the last one i have typed, so the updates will soon be less frequent.

I'll update later.

#41 CatPalas

CatPalas

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

*New Reader*

That was awesome! I love this. ^_^

Please update as soon as you can!

:mgwave:
Catarina

#42 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

Here's an update!

Chapter 4
“He’s the reason for the teardrops on my guitar,
The only thing that keeps me wishing in a wishing star”

(“Teardrops on My Guitar”, Taylor Swift)

At 5:55 p.m. on Friday night, I was sitting on the front porch, waiting for the limousine. Mom was inside, trying to find her house key. Typical Mom. I went over my mental checklist for what seemed like the hundredth time, making sure I had everything.

Clothes and other essentials, like toothpaste. Check.

iPod. Check.

Guitar. Check.

Songwriting notebook. Check.

Journal. Check.

Simultaneously, Mom came out of the house, saying, “I found it!” and the limo pulled into the driveway. The driver came out and said, “Amy McDonald?” When I nodded he took my bags and put them in the trunk, then held the door open as my mom and I got in. I looked around in awe. I had never been in a limousine before. It was even better than I had imagined. The thing was humongous-obviously- and sitting in it made me feel like royalty. I could tell Mom felt the same way.

The ride to the arena where the concert was being held was all to short. Before Mom and I joined the crowd of people who were headed inside, the driver stopped us. He handed us two backstage passes and said, “After the show, go backstage and introduce yourselves. Amy, your luggage will be taken to Alyssa Caroll’s bus, don’t worry. Mrs. McDonald, I will be waiting right here to take you home afterwards.”

We thanked him and went inside. Both Mom and I stood in line for ten minutes to buy drinks from a vendor, and then we went to find our seats. When we did, let me just say, Midnight Down went all out! Our seats could not have been more perfect. They were dead center, and in the very front row, just as Laurie had promised. I noticed some other fans shooting us envious glances as we took our seats. I didn’t have to worry about their gazes for very long, though, because the lights dimmed soon after.

Alyssa Caroll, the opening act, looked like a normal 20-year-old, but her voice was far from normal. The only words that can be used to accurately describe her voice are pure and sweet. She could make Yankee Doodle a hit, of which she had a few under her belt already. Alyssa’s only downfall was that she just couldn’t pull off songs with a rock edge. They simply did not work for her. She just wasn’t the rocker chick type.

But if you had never heard Alyssa sing, you would think she was perfectly normal, with her brown eyes and brown hair. Personally, I thought that made her look more approachable than most stars. But that’s just me.

When Alyssa was done, there was a brief intermission for the crew to set up the stage for Midnight Down. It didn’t last too long, however, and the lights dimmed once again. The opening chords of Midnight Down’s first number one hit started, and the lights near the back of the stage turned on, so you could see Matt, Jason, and Parker’s silhouettes through a layer of smoke. The crowd erupted in cheers. The rest of the concert was pretty much like that, with the crowd almost constantly singing along and cheering.

~~~

That's the first half of chapter 4.

#43 12Bandgeek21

12Bandgeek21

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

WHERE'S THE OTHER HALF?!?!?!
sorry about the caps but still.
where is it?
update SOON!!!

-shay

#44 CatPalas

CatPalas

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:17 AM

Update soon!!!
You can't leave us like that! It’s a crime. :angry: Lol. ^_^

:mgwave:
Catarina

#45 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

I have to finish writing it, and I'm not going to have much time today, but there'll probably be a update tomorrow.

Any guesses on who Midnight Down is in real life?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users