• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Hey, so, another music topic! Yay! And no one on here will probably care about this one but I'm posting it anyway for my benefit. :P Discuss the song artists who make music but with solely instruments and not their voice. Like pianists, guitarists, violinists, ect. You get the gist? Anyway, for example, I've been into Yiruma lately. Beautiful piano playing right there. One of his songs is even in a Twilight movie I think. A River Flows In You. Bella's lullaby I believe.

Alright, I'll shut up now, please share if you're into this sort of music. :)

-MEG

Edited by 24moon100, 10 March 2012 - 11:12 PM.

#2 Divalectable217

Divalectable217

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss.

So, I'm not the only freak who has movie scores on their iPod? :P I pretty much have the scores for most of my favourite movies: Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, etc.

Right now some of my favourite stuff to listen to are the John Williams scores for Star Wars, like Across the Stars, Duel of the Fates, Battle of the Heros, and of course the classic Imperial March. I just love to sit and day dream to his music, it's all so epic!

I'm also super obsessed with the scores from the Lord of the Rings. Howard Shore is a freaking genius. I couldn't imagine such a phenomenal story having a score that is any less perfect than what Howard Shore produced.

I've also been really into the score by Ramin Djawadi from the HBO series The Game of Thrones. I actually found this amazing violin cover of the main theme.

Not to mention I love the score for Naruto Shippuden too like Man of the World, Lightning Speed , and Unparalleled Throughout History. A lot of it really reminds me of the music from my favourite video game Okami. I have to say that I really love the classic Japanese music vibe that Okami had, and I still like to sit and listen to it from time to time on youtube because it's so calming. Some of the best songs were Cherry Blossom Storm, Dragon Palace, A Great Spirit Lies in Wait, and of course Tsuzurao's Theme.

As for non-moive score related instrumental music, I have to say that I love the Boston Pops. I get to play some of their arrangements in my school band, like their classic Sleigh Ride. It's fun stuff to play. ^_^

Also, a few years ago I was fortunate enough to get the chance to see Yo-Yo Ma perform with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and he was phenomenal. Truly gifted.

Luv, Diva :spinstar:

#3 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

^HAHA! I LOVE movie scores! Finally a fellow person who understands! :heartbeat:

#4 sancia

sancia

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

I love to listen instrumental! I was lucky enough to get opportunity to see Pekka Kuusisto perform with our local chamber orchestra in Finland. He is the best Finnish violinist and probably one of the best in whole world.

I play piano myself so when I want to relax, I listen piano sonatas. My favorite is Beethoven's Moonlight. And I absolutely adore Debussy's compositions! I do like newer stuff too. :D

#5 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

I love to listen instrumental! I was lucky enough to get opportunity to see Pekka Kuusisto perform with our local chamber orchestra in Finland. He is the best Finnish violinist and probably one of the best in whole world.

I play piano myself so when I want to relax, I listen piano sonatas. My favorite is Beethoven's Moonlight. And I absolutely adore Debussy's compositions! I do like newer stuff too. :D

Wow. Thats so cool. :) And yah, same. I play, or USED to play, piano so I love to listen to it when I need to clear my mind. :)

#6 suze.angelova

suze.angelova

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Ive always wanted to play an instrument- especially piano and guitar.

I know there's a slim chance of getting that now but hopefully when Im older Ill have time to start.

#7 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

One word: Violins. They are beautiful. <3

#8 suze.angelova

suze.angelova

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

^Yes! I was watching Raise Your Voice the other day, and I couldnt help but admire that girl that plays the violin. I know it's so underrated but I think that it's really beautiful:)

#9 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

^Its not underrated. Violins are amazing.

#10 sancia

sancia

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

I wish I could play violin!
Been taking flute and clarinet lessons.

#11 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

Just re-taught myself how to play the entertainer on the piano. Cannot describe the feeling of awesomeness I feel right now. :)

#12 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

I just discovered this old playlist I made on Spotify with a bunch of Panic! At The Disco piano tribute songs. It's weird hearing them like that, but... Wow. It's really relaxing and easy to write too, I learned. :D Glad I found out about them.

xoxoArtemis

#13 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Inception score going on while I write right now. I was watching that (againnn--I can't tell you how many times I've watched that movie; it's my favorite) last night, and I thought, "Wow, wouldn't it be good to write to this music?"

It's perfect. Completely perfect.

xoxoArtemis

#14 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Oh my gosh! I know it is not your average music, but just check out this soundtrack. Although there is little words, the instruments speak for themselves. It is hard to imagine someone not appreciating the genius that went behind this. Gah. I just fell in love with it.

6:55 to be specific is one of my favorites of the songs.

#15 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

Can we all take a moment to appreciate the brilliant music in Torchwood? I'm serious, the music in Torchwood is perfect.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UJd5ldQXJdo

This will be my all-time favorite from this show. So great.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TthQWHGCsME

This is an epic variation of the first one. Short yet awesome.

http://www.youtube.c...n&v=ix9VXII53Mk

This is similar to the previous one. Also awesome. Love the piano.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pHYVYHDKMaI

It may be from the saddest moment in the whole show, but it's a great score.

xoxoArtemis

Edited by Pretty.Odd., 25 June 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#16 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

I just discovered this old playlist I made on Spotify with a bunch of Panic! At The Disco piano tribute songs. It's weird hearing them like that, but... Wow. It's really relaxing and easy to write too, I learned. biggrin.gif Glad I found out about them.

xoxoArtemis

WHERE did you find these? I just realized you posted this. I need to hear these!

#17 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

^Hahaha, this was almost a year ago so I have no idea how I ended up stumbling across them. I just remember having a playlist of Panic! piano tributes on Spotify. Try searching that on YouTube? They were really awesome. I love writing to instrumentals like that.

xoxoArtemis

#18 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

I think I found them. Is this it?

http://www.youtube.c...94BD0ED84F4DC10

#19 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

I think I found them. Is this it?

http://www.youtube.c...94BD0ED84F4DC10

Yes! That's it! They do piano covers of all sorts if songs. It's pretty cool.

xoxoArtemis

#20 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Yes! That's it! They do piano covers of all sorts if songs. It's pretty cool.

xoxoArtemis

It is never ending the things this band has to offer. Every time I think I'm done, there is a new thing around the corner. <3 Do they cover all the songs or just that set of ten? 

#21 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

It is never ending the things this band has to offer. Every time I think I'm done, there is a new thing around the corner. <3 Do they cover all the songs or just that set of ten?

I think it's just the ten, which sucks. But they're all pretty awesome, so I guess that makes up for it.

xoxoArtemis

#22 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Can we all take a moment to appreciate the brilliant music in Torchwood? I'm serious, the music in Torchwood is perfect.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UJd5ldQXJdo

This will be my all-time favorite from this show. So great.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TthQWHGCsME

This is an epic variation of the first one. Short yet awesome.

http://www.youtube.c...n&v=ix9VXII53Mk

This is similar to the previous one. Also awesome. Love the piano.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pHYVYHDKMaI

It may be from the saddest moment in the whole show, but it's a great score.

xoxoArtemis

THESE ARE FANTASTIC SCORES. I think I will be able to appreciate them more once I get around to watching Torchwood though. I love Jack so I think the first one kinda speaks to me the most. 

#23 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

THESE ARE FANTASTIC SCORES. I think I will be able to appreciate them more once I get around to watching Torchwood though. I love Jack so I think the first one kinda speaks to me the most. 

Aw, yeah, they're all amazing. First one's my favorite, too. I listen to these all the time. They're even better when you know when they're all from and know the characters and stuff.

You definitely need to watch Torchwood. It's a lot darker and grittier than Doctor Who (also has a lot more adult themes). I like how they portray the world in Torchwood more than they do in Doctor Who, and I like the characters better. For me it's really a character show as opposed to a plot show. It has some irritating episodes and some episodes that weakened the show, but there are also some phenomenal ones (like Countrycide, which is one of my all-time favorite episodes of anything ever; it's like a Doctor Who/Torchwood version of "The Benders" from S1 of Supernatural). Overall, great show.

xoxoArtemis

#24 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

Aw, yeah, they're all amazing. First one's my favorite, too. I listen to these all the time. They're even better when you know when they're all from and know the characters and stuff.

You definitely need to watch Torchwood. It's a lot darker and grittier than Doctor Who (also has a lot more adult themes). I like how they portray the world in Torchwood more than they do in Doctor Who, and I like the characters better. For me it's really a character show as opposed to a plot show. It has some irritating episodes and some episodes that weakened the show, but there are also some phenomenal ones (like Countrycide, which is one of my all-time favorite episodes of anything ever; it's like a Doctor Who/Torchwood version of "The Benders" from S1 of Supernatural). Overall, great show.

xoxoArtemis

I swear it's on my list. 

There is a huge difference between wanting to do something and actually doing it though in my life. Haha. 

#25 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

I swear it's on my list. 

There is a huge difference between wanting to do something and actually doing it though in my life. Haha.

Lol yes. I always have a huge list of things I want to do, and I feel like it just keeps growing...

xoxoArtemis

#26 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Z0kGAz6HYM8

MY FAVORITE.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oEcij0ARkmU

I also really love this one. I think I listened to this score nonstop for, like, two or three hours once. That's what happens when I do art. I go crazy like that.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aeRsLPQannM

This one's great. Was in a Torchwood episode, which is why I know it. So awesome.

xoxoArtemis

#27 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

THIS ONE TOO:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=EMu5jP2-c5U

#28 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

The first thought that entered my mind when I first heard the song "Wake Me Up" by Avicii a while back was, "This would sound sick on the violin," so I looked it up to see if anyone had done a cover & found this. It is indeed sick.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=Azg7stPf5nE

#29 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

DANG. That IS sick.  :eusa_clap:

#30 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

DANG. That IS sick.  :eusa_clap:

I know! I was in awe when I watched it. I really want to learn to play violin. I think my obsession with scores has really increased the urge. It's such a pretty instrument...

#31 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

I know! I was in awe when I watched it. I really want to learn to play violin. I think my obsession with scores has really increased the urge. It's such a pretty instrument...

The violin is my FAVORITE. Piano is second. My sister used to be able to play the violin, really talented at it too. Such a wonderful instrument. (New P!ATD needs more violin.)

#32 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

The violin is my FAVORITE. Piano is second. My sister used to be able to play the violin, really talented at it too. Such a wonderful instrument. (New P!ATD needs more violin.)

Violin is my favorite, too. I've always loved piano and used to be able to play but gave up. :P My younger sister plays piano and she's amazing. Meanwhile, I struggle to even read notes... Haha.

I'm actually going to be SAD if there's no violin in the new Panic! stuff. I'm totally open to them changing their sound and doing something different, but you CAN'T ABANDON THE BEAUTIFUL STRINGS THAT MAKE YOUR MUSIC SO GOOD. Gah.

On the topic of violin, have you heard of Lindsey Stirling? She is an AMAZING violinist that I found on YouTube this winter. I would not be surprised if you knew her because she's pretty popular. The cool part is that a lot of her music is violin with dubstep. I'm not much of a dubstep person, but it's beautiful together.

Here's one of her songs: http://www.youtube.c...805FB61D7503BC2

#33 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

Violin is my favorite, too. I've always loved piano and used to be able to play but gave up. :P My younger sister plays piano and she's amazing. Meanwhile, I struggle to even read notes... Haha.

I'm actually going to be SAD if there's no violin in the new Panic! stuff. I'm totally open to them changing their sound and doing something different, but you CAN'T ABANDON THE BEAUTIFUL STRINGS THAT MAKE YOUR MUSIC SO GOOD. Gah.

On the topic of violin, have you heard of Lindsey Stirling? She is an AMAZING violinist that I found on YouTube this winter. I would not be surprised if you knew her because she's pretty popular. The cool part is that a lot of her music is violin with dubstep. I'm not much of a dubstep person, but it's beautiful together.

Here's one of her songs: http://www.youtube.c...805FB61D7503BC2

I was the same with the piano. I gave up on it and now I'm starting to regret it. I'm really good a t playing by ear, but that only gets you so far. Lol.

That's cool about your sister! Tell her to stick with it!

Totally agree. There must be violin. It is a necessity for Panic! I'm sorry but there must. 

LINDSEY STIRLING. Yes. She is incredible! I remember stumbling upon her music a way back but sort of forgot about her until you brought her up again! Thanks for reminding about her because she is amazing and I love what she does. By the way, Crystalize is one of my favorites by her so nice link choice. ;)

#34 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

I was the same with the piano. I gave up on it and now I'm starting to regret it. I'm really good a t playing by ear, but that only gets you so far. Lol.

That's cool about your sister! Tell her to stick with it!

Totally agree. There must be violin. It is a necessity for Panic! I'm sorry but there must. 

LINDSEY STIRLING. Yes. She is incredible! I remember stumbling upon her music a way back but sort of forgot about her until you brought her up again! Thanks for reminding about her because she is amazing and I love what she does. By the way, Crystalize is one of my favorites by her so nice link choice. ;)

You know how much I'd love to be able to play the piano right now? A lot. I really regret being a whiny little kid and refusing to practice, because I bet I'd be pretty good at if it if I'd have been able to change my mentality. Maybe I'll pick it up again someday. Who knows?

I can play melody lines by ear pretty easily. Like, give me a song and I can figure out the melody on the piano, but ask me to play a legitimate song and I won't be able to play the first measure. :P

Panic! without violin is like Mumford & Sons without a banjo. What's the purpose without it? :)

That's so awesome that you also like Lindsey Stirling! She's really incredible. It's really good music to draw to. Sometimes music gets in the way when I'm trying to write/draw, but hers is perfect.

#35 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

Can we all just appreciate how perfect the Orphan Black theme is? Because it's really perfect.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-00OeLUkrhc

xoxoArtemis

#36 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Orphan Black is a perfect show with perfect music. Here's 20 minutes of its perfection (the Helena music might be my favorite, although all of it is great).

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hgEg9ggSjQ0

#37 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

I know a lot of people can't even stand "Thrift Shop," but this is too awesome. It sounds like an 1880's marketplace and is BRILLIANT.

Listen and be wowed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users