59 replies to this topic

#46 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:17 AM

The Truth About Stereotypes

Nine high school teenagers and their stories.

The Jock: Zach Richardson is the star quarterback on the football team, well known with everyone, and super good looking to match. He fits every aspect of his supposed personality type, but is he as black and white as everyone thinks? 

The Popular Girl: Brooke Norwood has it all. The money, the popularity, the beauty, the fifteen minutes of fame. You’d think she’d be thrilled, right? Turns out she doesn’t have everything.

The Gay: Greg Nelson is out of the closet and a victim of more ridicule than ever. He has to struggle with his sexuality daily, and is constantly harassed because of his label, but is he so different from your average teenage guy?

The Lesbian: Kendra Sanders hasn’t come out with her secret yet, but everyone is starting to suspect it nonetheless. Can she stand to be herself in a world that already thinks they have her figured out?

The Geek: Being crazy smart has its downfall...particularly in social stratification. Where straight A’s and a perfect IQ will get you into an Ivy League university, will they get Samantha Miller into any wild parties?

The Loner: Zane Parker has always been content with his introverted lifestyle as an outcast in society. No drama, no worries, right? At least, that’s what Zane keeps telling himself. The only problem is: you can’t avoid people forever. Sooner or later you’re going to meet someone you can’t ignore.

The Player: Cade Williams goes through girlfriends like a shopaholic goes through shoes. As smooth talking as he might be under the eyes of his fellow classmates, there is another side to him that lurks beneath. Deep beneath. 

The Emo: Colored hair, piercings, some sad music, a few scars on her arms, and all of the sudden Jade Smith is considered an emo chick. While everyone sticks with their assumptions about people like her, they don’t know the full story. 

The S!ut: Rumors have painted Glenda Pickens’ life for the majority of her high school days. When you have a body like hers, however, it’s really no wonder she’s been pegged as the girl who sleeps with all the guys. But is her tainted reputation completely accurate? 

Side Note: I know it is a lot of people, and may seem a little excessive, but I think it’s important I cover as many of the bases for this story as I can. I know I’m not going to be able to go in depth with ethnic, religious, or gender stereotypes, but I’m hoping to still be able to address those as well. Or maybe I’ll just do a sequel or something. Haha. Who knows? Either way it is impossible to cover all the stereotypes out there in one swoop. My plan is to maybe have three POVs per chapter if I decide to keep all nine characters. Each POV would be a small scene or two for each individual character. I’m not sure if I want the lives of each character to overlap and interconnect yet, but I’d sure appreciate some feedback on how that would be possible if anyone has any. I’m open for suggestions. Right now this idea is loosely built. I’m still playing around with it. Maybe you know of a stereotype I can do that I haven't already mentioned? Have a better name for a character? This isn't concrete yet. I can make adjustments.  :)

Anyway, I think it would be fun to write a story exposing the faults of stereotyping so I’m hoping other people will feel the same way about reading something that that!

Tell me who you'd be most interested in reading about. :D

-MEG

#47 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:16 AM

The Truth About Stereotypes

Nine high school teenagers and their stories.

The Jock: Zach Richardson is the star quarterback on the football team, well known with everyone, and super good looking to match. He fits every aspect of his supposed personality type, but is he as black and white as everyone thinks? 

The Popular Girl: Brooke Norwood has it all. The money, the popularity, the beauty, the fifteen minutes of fame. You’d think she’d be thrilled, right? Turns out she doesn’t have everything.

The Gay: Greg Nelson is out of the closet and a victim of more ridicule than ever. He has to struggle with his sexuality daily, and is constantly harassed because of his label, but is he so different from your average teenage guy?

The Lesbian: Kendra Sanders hasn’t come out with her secret yet, but everyone is starting to suspect it nonetheless. Can she stand to be herself in a world that already thinks they have her figured out?

The Geek: Being crazy smart has its downfall...particularly in social stratification. Where straight A’s and a perfect IQ will get you into an Ivy League university, will they get Samantha Miller into any wild parties?

The Loner: Zane Parker has always been content with his introverted lifestyle as an outcast in society. No drama, no worries, right? At least, that’s what Zane keeps telling himself. The only problem is: you can’t avoid people forever. Sooner or later you’re going to meet someone you can’t ignore.

The Player: Cade Williams goes through girlfriends like a shopaholic goes through shoes. As smooth talking as he might be under the eyes of his fellow classmates, there is another side to him that lurks beneath. Deep beneath. 

The Emo: Colored hair, piercings, some sad music, a few scars on her arms, and all of the sudden Jade Smith is considered an emo chick. While everyone sticks with their assumptions about people like her, they don’t know the full story. 

The S!ut: Rumors have painted Glenda Pickens’ life for the majority of her high school days. When you have a body like hers, however, it’s really no wonder she’s been pegged as the girl who sleeps with all the guys. But is her tainted reputation completely accurate? 

Side Note: I know it is a lot of people, and may seem a little excessive, but I think it’s important I cover as many of the bases for this story as I can. I know I’m not going to be able to go in depth with ethnic, religious, or gender stereotypes, but I’m hoping to still be able to address those as well. Or maybe I’ll just do a sequel or something. Haha. Who knows? Either way it is impossible to cover all the stereotypes out there in one swoop. My plan is to maybe have three POVs per chapter if I decide to keep all nine characters. Each POV would be a small scene or two for each individual character. I’m not sure if I want the lives of each character to overlap and interconnect yet, but I’d sure appreciate some feedback on how that would be possible if anyone has any. I’m open for suggestions. Right now this idea is loosely built. I’m still playing around with it. Maybe you know of a stereotype I can do that I haven't already mentioned? Have a better name for a character? This isn't concrete yet. I can make adjustments.  :)

Anyway, I think it would be fun to write a story exposing the faults of stereotyping so I’m hoping other people will feel the same way about reading something that that!

Tell me who you'd be most interested in reading about. :D

-MEG

I would definitely be interested in reading - I myself have witnessed many of the faults of stereotyping and would enjoy reading about your views on the subject. 

Millie May

#48 Jcrazy

Jcrazy

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

^I wanna read it too, Meg! :D Yay I really like the idea you have going. Hopefully you'll post this one :)

#49 Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Same! Looks pretty awesome. I have this huge issue with stereotypes so you can bet I'll be reading.

xoxoArtemis

#50 24moon100

24moon100

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

^Thanks everyone! I'm glad to see that people are interested! I'll keep you posted on things. :)

#51 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hi Guys.

So I've been having this idea float around my head for a couple of weeks and really wanted to know if it would be something worth continuing or posting on here at some point.

I don't really have a blurb or such but have my beginning.

Would be grateful for any feed back or suggestions. 

I've posted less than half of what I have written after popping it on here I realized I had written a lot more than I though. :)

I see dead people.

It was the very first thing that I noticed when my mum pulled the car up in front of my new school. A boy walking past with the lettering ‘I see dead people’ written on his shirt. It aggravated me, it made me want to leap out the door and tear the dammed thing off of him, I bit my already chewed up lip to distract myself.

I know what you all must be thinking, it's only a shirt why get so worked up, right? Well wouldn't you get worked up if you were in my position? However, I forgot, you don't know my position do you?

My name is Samantha Simmons and I see dead people.

I can imagine rolled eyes and snorts coming from most of you, 'yeah right dead people' you think. Well it is true, I am a sixteen-year-old girl and if dealing with puberty and periods wasn't bad enough, I also have to go through life seeing, hearing and occasionally being shoved around by the worlds spectral community. It’s not like i don’t already get enough of that by the worlds breathing variety of people.

So do you understand yet why I feel the unbearable urge to rip that stupid tee shirt to shreds?

No, maybe you don't know enough yet. I have had this curse for as long as I can remember, I can't even tell you about the first ghost I saw, I just know I always have seen them. It wasn't much of a problem when I was younger, my parents thought it was all run of the mill, imaginary friends and such. It wasn't run off the mill though, definitely not when it came to the others, the trapped.

You see most ghosts start of pretty regular like, look like they did when they were human you know, acne and all. However, the longer they are here the worse they get, it's like their souls decay or something. The appearance of their skin seems to melt and turn grey. Not only that but they get nasty, some just damn right evil, and super powerful too boot.

If you had been in my position, dealing with these things all your life, being beaten around by them because you just do not know what to do to help. Being terrified to talk to the person next to you because you don't know if there alive or dead.

Do you now understand?

Do you now realize my insatiable urge to rip that shirt to shreds?

If not then stay with me a while, maybe then you might begin to understand, hopefully it won’t take you long.

"Stop biting your lip Samantha."

"Huh?" I turned to my mum with what I could only presume was a very distant look in my eyes, judging from her posture and set to her jaw, she wasn't much impressed by it.

Miranda Simmons, my mother was a very intimidating woman; she had long black hair that was tied in a severe bun. Her body was toned from her ritual workouts. She must not have an ounce of fat on her body. Unlike me, I think that was the first thing my mother had given up on when it came to me, she used to always force me to jog or go to the gym with her, it didn't take her long to realize it wasn't going to make a difference with me. I am a podge and there was just no changing that.

I mean I am proportioned and all that, I'm just a bit on the wobbly side of things, and certainly wouldn’t be fitting in a size ten pair of jeans any time soon.

"I said stop biting your lip." She let out a huge sigh and I could see the nerves break through her usual composed façade. "Do you want me to walk you in?"

"No mum I can manage," I said as she passed me some lip balm I had to pull my hand out of my oversized hoody to take.

Her eyes flickered to the school and back to me.

"Don't worry mum I'll be good, I promise, it won't be like last time." I pushed the memory of the last school i attended from my mind–don't worry i didn't blow it up or anything- and plastered a huge fake smile on my face for her benefit.

I watched her relax in her seat and return my smile. "I know honey, now jump out before you’re late."

The walk up to the school doors felt like the longest of my life. My feet felt like lead in my trainers and a cold sweat had broken out across my brow. I'm sure first days of school felt like this for everyone, the jittering nerves, the awkward anticipation. I kept telling myself that it had nothing to do with the fact I was starting halfway through term. Or that I had been kicked out of my old school for extreme delinquent behaviour -to put it mildly- or that the rumours had probably already hit the grape vine the moment I had taken the first step out of the car.

It was just everyday first day jitters. It couldn't be anything more. I walked head down to the large gleaming glass double doors to Vicksburg High school trying to ignore the the stairs of the few stragglers that were still lingering around outside.

Grasping the large metal handle I pulled the door open -well tried too anyway- it wouldn't budge. I pulled harder and even shook it a little. A mass of laughter broke out behind me and I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks, I was insanely glad I had kept the hood up. It was mortifying a dozen thoughts went through my already frazzled mind. I couldn't be late could I? Some schools lock their doors not long after the tardy bell, surly they would have ushered in all these students if they had come to lock the doors.

Unless they weren't students but the 'others'.

"Problem sweetheart?" A sarcastic male voice called out from behind me. I held my breath and bit my lip once again, it took all my strength not to turn around and give the guy a good what's for, but I had promised mum, no more of that this time I would keep my head down.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and jumped out of my skin one of my fists raised in defence, not that it would do much good, I was well and truly a wimp.

"You mind?" A soft male voice asked and I looked up in shock. A boy who couldn't be much older than me stood there, his soft blue eyes were crinkled in amusement. The boy was tall with extremely broad shoulders, his blond hair was spiked and he was wearing faded ripped jeans and an old Linkin Park concert tee shirt on strapped to his back was a guitar hard case. His lips split into a wide grin and he repeated what he said his head inclined at the door.

Dumbly I moved out of his way as he walked forward and pushed the doors open.

My eyes widened in horror, it was a push door, a bloody push door? Rancorous laughter broke out from the direction it had come from earlier, and I was momentarily broke of my internal stream of vile words I had for myself.

I shoved the door and pulling the hood of my jacket down as far as it would go I ran into the hall hurriedly looking for the nearest bathroom.

#52 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Okay comparing the two book ideas that I had for my newest project. (the one I posted above and the one I'm about to post) I decided to move forward with this one and put the other in my file for a later date.
I hope you all find this idea more grabbing than the other and really do appreciate any comments you might have. 
Here we are then, my story summary.

Winters Warming

A story revolving around the four sisters of the seasons, Winter in Particular, and her journey to save the world from falling into darkness.

The four sisters are:

Spring Evening

Summer Solstice

Autumn Wind

Winter Tundra.

The book focuses on Winter, who, over the years has grown cold and bitter because of the isolated life she lives.  She is jealous of her sisters and the happiness they have found in their lives, Springs level headed attitude towards everything and her assuredness in her direction in life. Summers pure enjoyment of chasing love and the elusive summer fling then finally Autumns ability to see the beauty in everything around her and pure outlook on everything around her.

Living alone in her barren castle Winter falls prey to the smooth talking Nightmare.

Nightmare, an evil man who controls the fear in the world, and revels in darkness wants Winter for himself. He sees her as his perfect partner and accomplice in creating a new world in which he reigns above all.

In a moment of rage, Winter reveals the last piece of the puzzle that Nightmare needs to make his plan a reality.

Horrified at what she has done Winter sets out to put a stop to Nightmare, finding an unrealised ally along the way.

The Huntsman, Holter, caretaker of land animals. The only man alive that can make even her icy blood boil.

It doesn’t help that he’s handsome enough to keep even Summers attention, and that his arrogant smile infuriates her about as much as making her stomach flip.

Setting out together to save the world as they know it Winter struggles to hide her part in the disaster, hide the secret visits that Nightmare is paying her in her dreams, and guard her heart unless she loose it to the wrong man.

Hope you all enjoy :)

#53 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

You definitely chose the right idea to move forward with, it is the more original of the two and I would most definitely read it. I adore the idea of the seasons, as sister each having their own personality and traits. That synopsis is beautifully gripping and it is such a brilliant idea. I hope all goes well with that project, good luck.

Millie May

#54 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

You definitely chose the right idea to move forward with, it is the more original of the two and I would most definitely read it. I adore the idea of the seasons, as sister each having their own personality and traits. That synopsis is beautifully gripping and it is such a brilliant idea. I hope all goes well with that project, good luck.

Millie May

Thank you!!!
I'm feeling really confident with it too, the other one took me ages to write a couple of chapters, I kept having to stop and ask myself what could I do with it that hasn't been done before.
With this one I ploughed through two skeleton chapters (what I call my first draft) in an evening.
Thank you for the kind comments! I may have hope yet. :icon_lol: 

#55 VABarnes

VABarnes

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

Millie May

Thanks for giving me the confidence to push forward! I just uploaded my chapter one! Yay me :)

#56 DayDreamer95

DayDreamer95

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

Shadow Games

Blurb:
Name: Cody Ambers
KILL HER QUICK, PAINLESS, AND NO WITNESSES.

Plot: Copy is on this hit list. And she has to fight and kill her way to survival.

So this is just.something I thought.off
Xx
Alex~

#57 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Sounds awesome Alex, I would read definitely.

"KILL HER QUICK, PAINLESS, AND NO WITNESSES." 

Definitely my sort of thing, I love Believe though.

#58 Meg_Rulz

Meg_Rulz

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:18 AM

Shadow Games

Blurb:
Name: Cody Ambers
KILL HER QUICK, PAINLESS, AND NO WITNESSES.

Plot: Copy is on this hit list. And she has to fight and kill her way to survival.

So this is just.something I thought.off
Xx
Alex~

Perfect! I am a fan of mystery and murders. :)

#59 DayDreamer95

DayDreamer95

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

Thank you. I realize that the blurb didny seem as cool as I wanted it to be but I am working on it

Another idea I had thought about was web read blurb below.

"
.hr slips his hand around my waist. I chew my lip as we check into this high class hotel. The lady who was checking us in looked up giving us a large smile.
"Your name?" She asked so sweetly.
"Bob Ippins." Says my date.
He is so greasy looking. Rubbing my ass, squeezing my hand. I want to throw up in his presence.
"Mary Doil." I lie, shooting a glare at my victim.
I can only picture how I'll murder him.
A slit to the throat. A gunshot wound in the heart. Blunt object to the head. Or the easiest, cyanide poisoning."

It's suppose to be about a murderous womanwho kill womanizing men.

#60 BonkersBookworm78

BonkersBookworm78

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

I love that one even more, that greasy guy sounds utterly repulsive.

Congratulations, you just made me sympathise with I killer.

As I said - you have talent Alex.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users