• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#46 michaelmoscovitz'swife127

michaelmoscovitz'swife127

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

I am going to report this thread to one of the moderators! Even if you don't like her!

#47 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

^^^Why? The person who posted this is upset at people being mean to Meg. No one in this thread has said that they don't like Meg. They are all shocked that this stuff happens.

In other words, there is no reason for this thread to be reported.

#48 Moose

Moose

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

No, there's nothing wrong with this thread at all. Now if this was aimed to be some sort of group for Meg haters, then there would be a problem. But this thread isn't for that purpose, so it's perfectly fine.

#49 michaelmoscovitz'swife127

michaelmoscovitz'swife127

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Oh. That makes sense. I thought this thread are for haters. Oops! My bad!

They could have told me! At least warn me!

#50 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

They did tell you, in the first post, that it was talking about OTHER sites hating on Meg and how it's wrong. Read before posting.

#51 Michael lover22

Michael lover22

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

Meg's awesome, people are just a bunch of idiots

#52 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

Okay, here's the thing. If people are looking for complete originality, they are immediately bound to fail. Willa Cather, a famed author of the early twentieth century wrote, "There are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before."

And you know what, I completely agree with her. When I first started writing, I used to worry about finding that one original plot that would make my story stand out. So of course I came up with absolutely nothing. Or if I did, my hopes were flamed when the next time I picked up a book similar to my idea in the library. But these aren't the things to be worrying about. Every book is going to be in some way similar to another. That doesn't mean the author, in this case Meg, was copying anyone's work. If people are that naive into the world of fiction, they would be better off not trying to analyze things they have absolutely no experience in. As we all know, they will just make a fool of themselves.

There are a lot of people who flame others for no reason at all. They have their reasons, but they are surly petty. The best thing we can do is ignore those blogs and haters. Because nothing good can ever come out of it. Period the end.

~Aim

Wow, you said that perfectly!

Also, Ari-San said that in Shopaholic and in the QOB books, both first people move to 'the big city' and get married. Well, all I have to say to that is 'wow. Meg, you copier!' Fecisiously, of course. (Sorry, I dunno how to spell that!)
I mean, getting moving and getting married aren't exactly ideas, they're just just what most people do in their lives, right? Plus, getting married and moving would just be the centre-points of the books, wouldn't they? They actual story is what happens around that centre-point (i.e. 'I moved to the big city and got eaten by cats' in one book and then, in another, 'i moved to the big city and met the man who I then went on to marry'. See? Totally different stories both revolving around one centre point!)

I apologise if I rambled or didn't make my point particularly clear.

GO MEG!!!!!!!

:heartbeat: Char :heartbeat:

#53 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:29 AM

And you know what, I completely agree with her. When I first started writing, I used to worry about finding that one original plot that would make my story stand out. So of course I came up with absolutely nothing. Or if I did, my hopes were flamed when the next time I picked up a book similar to my idea in the library. But these aren't the things to be worrying about. Every book is going to be in some way similar to another. That doesn't mean the author, in this case Meg, was copying anyone's work. If people are that naive into the world of fiction, they would be better off not trying to analyze things they have absolutely no experience in. As we all know, they will just make a fool of themselves.

I love how you said that. ;) It´s absolutely true.

I think that everyone has the right to have their own opinion but if they don´t like Meg, they should just keep it to themselves. No one wants to know about wether they like her or not. So if they don´t, no one makes them buy her books...
I don´t understand why people do that.

Love,

Kati :cat:

#54 sweetsapphire83

sweetsapphire83

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:59 PM

^^^What blogs?

Also, I honestly do not think Meg copies at all. If they're basing that on the Queen of Babble series and how it's like Shopaholic, it's only similar in the titles, not the story itself. And also, it's based on something Meg went through herself, so it's hard to copy someone else when it's based on your own experience.

So in conclusion, I personally believe those haters are just being stupid. They're just hating on her because she's popular. Apparently, you can't be a good writer AND popular, according to those kinds of people.

I couldn't agree more! People always hate on anything and everything that becomes popular.

#55 kiwigirl16

kiwigirl16

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:02 PM

Oh, so sorry! :( I just read the title and skimmed the topic thing. My bad!

Michelle

#56 Guest_marzoe6_*

Guest_marzoe6_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

Hi,

Meg is an AWESOME writer , people who hate her are just jealous ( like everyone says) :D

-ZOE

#57 kissmesweet

kissmesweet

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:29 AM

I think that Meg is actually quite an original. People just like to criticize everyone else...

#58 suze_n_jesse

suze_n_jesse

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:39 PM

In response to these posts:

I highly doubt any of them have read one of her books, they probably heard shes a copier(which shes not) from a friend and then spread rumors

stupid people!!!

I guess they are kinda jealous...

If people are that naive into the world of fiction, they would be better off not trying to analyze things they have absolutely no experience in. As we all know, they will just make a fool of themselves.

There are a lot of people who flame others for no reason at all. They have their reasons, but they are surly petty. The best thing we can do is ignore those blogs and haters. Because nothing good can ever come out of it. Period the end.

~Aim

I think that Meg is actually quite an original. People just like to criticize everyone else...

!!!!!WARNING, this post may contain truths that dedicated Meg Cabot fans may dislike!!!!!
I'm going to get massively hated for this. It's my opinion, this is how I think. I intend NO OFFENSE to anyone.

I sincerely, and truly do not hate Meg Cabot. I used to read her books all the time, Mediator, Princess Diaries, Avalon high, All American girl, etc etc.
I repeat, I do not hate her at all. I hate her books. That's one of the reasons I stopped coming here. I found it useless to argue with her fans, so I all together avoided the topic of Meg Cabot. It's been over a year that I logged in, and it's because I kept getting these annoying news letters that I logged in to disable them.

I started disliking her books (her plots and characters) after I read about two thirds or so of them. I think most people who hate her books are people who actually read them, and compared them (as I did). As I grew, my selection in book categories evolved, so I stopped reading her books, because I swear some of them gave me headaches. So please, Ms. Collie Lover, don't say that we heard it from a friend, because most of the Meg Cabot "haters" are former readers. Why do you fans all assume we are jealous and stupid? I find that offending. I have no problem with her success. Most of you will arrive in a phase where you'll realize her books are aimed at pubescent girls, who only want fluffy stories and hot guys. Even the books for adults (i.e Queen of babble) are taken out by 12 and 13 year olds, because the plots simply aren't that striking. She's a best selling author because of her readers, and most of her readers want basically the same thing, so she's giving it to them.

I'm not saying that Ms.Cabot doesn't have talent. I just find her characters highly predictable and repetitive. I'm not saying that some of her ideas and concepts aren't original, they certainly are. A girl who saves a president, a girl who sees ghosts, a girl who is actually an heir to a throne... It's just the way she lays them down that make them so... average. Sure, her first few books were break-throughs. She saw what people like and just repeated the style.

Let me name a few similarities in almost EACH character:

-The heroine of the story always talks too much. ALWAYS. They go off-topic, have the same attitude and speech.
-The heroine has something she dislikes about her self, only to appreciate it at the end of the book/series.
-The heroine thinks she has a crush on a guy, only to find out he's a jerk. She then proceeds to liking another guy, which in the end, she always seems to get.
-The heroine always has this unknown talent and it gets acknowledged by other people, only she thinks is useless.
-The heroine is always ungrateful to what she already has.

And I could go ON forever. What I've written above doesn't necessarily happen in each book, but there is a pattern. Not to mention, some people dislike her books because some times there are remarks that imply racism (I have found quite a few remarks in the books that have offended me and several other readers) and nearly all her characters are caucasian, which means lack of variety. (I say nearly, because I haven't read each one of her books.)

The reason I posted this is because of the apalling number of people who think that I'm stupid, jealous, don't have a life, like to criticise people, and haven't read any of Ms.Cabot's books.

Aren't you being narrow-minded and hating on us? Have you met any of us "haters"? Just as I, never met Ms.Cabot, I'm not going to judge her by her books, as you shouldn't judge me of my opinion of her books.

There will ALWAYS be people who don't like her or her books, for their own reasons, and they have any right as you do to express their dislike by making a website or just saying it. Just as you fans who make websites because you like her and her books. It doesn't stop Ms.Cabot from being a best-selling author, does it? We "haters" aren't affecting her popularity.

Instead of calling us names and saying that we're stupid and jealous and idiots, why not have a fair debate? Why not prove your point in a more graceful manner?

If anyone does want to reply to my post, please do without saying "For a hater, you sure seemed to wasted a lot of your time on this", because I didn't, it took me around 10 min, and I will not just look at people insulting me without defending myself. I'd also like to say that even though I dislike most of her books, doesn't mean that I completely stopped reading them.. From time to time, I pick one up to see if her writing style has changed. *grin*

I didn't mean any offense at all, and I hope that you all could read my post without bias for Ms.Cabot.

#59 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:25 PM

^^^Read Airhead. You might like it more. It's different from her other books.

Personally, I do not agree with you because I actually don't notice similarities other than in her writing style, which, by the way, is ok to have the same one throughout your stories. I've been in several writing workshops and what you're supposed to do is find your own writing style, your own voice, your own perspective. That generally implies just ONE style. So it shouldn't be a problem that her writing style is similar in all her books. The fact that she found her own style is commendable enough. But I see people all the time saying "Her books are all similar. They're all the same thing." And I do think that yes, if you break down the story to its core, they are all the same. But you can do that with a lot of books- there's only so many stories that people can write. If you break down any book to its core, it can be similar to a ton of other novels. But when I read Meg's books, I don't feel like I'm reading the same one over and over at all. That argument has never made sense to me because I don't see that side. To me, her books and characters are all different.

Not to mention, some people dislike her books because some times there are remarks that imply racism (I have found quite a few remarks in the books that have offended me and several other readers) and nearly all her characters are caucasian, which means lack of variety. (I say nearly, because I haven't read each one of her books.)

Meg is not her books. If you find any racist statements in there, they are either made because that's what the character would think or because the character is not informed enough. Not everyone can be completely informed about everything in the world.

The reason her characters are generally all Caucasian females is because she doesn't know what it's like to be African-American, or Jewish, or whatever, and doesn't want to get it wrong. She felt the wrath of people being upset with her for getting the setting of Alaska wrong in She Went All the Way. Imagine how it would be if she got something horribly wrong while writing as someone of a different race, gender, religion, or nationality. She has written from a male perspective every so often, but generally chooses not to.

#60 Stickit2-the-MAN

Stickit2-the-MAN

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:41 AM

I LOVE Meg`s books.When ever I feel sad they cheer me up.The Princess Diaries is very original!if not so who cares? If your gonna slag things for being unoringial then slag all the teen movies there out there.As much I love them they have the same ending and beginning and sometimes the same middle.

Clara

p.s Go Meg!!!!

#61 CharliePantsxxx

CharliePantsxxx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:04 AM

!!!!!WARNING, this post may contain truths that dedicated Meg Cabot fans may dislike!!!!!
I'm going to get massively hated for this. It's my opinion, this is how I think. I intend NO OFFENSE to anyone.

I sincerely, and truly do not hate Meg Cabot. I used to read her books all the time, Mediator, Princess Diaries, Avalon high, All American girl, etc etc.
I repeat, I do not hate her at all. I hate her books. That's one of the reasons I stopped coming here. I found it useless to argue with her fans, so I all together avoided the topic of Meg Cabot. It's been over a year that I logged in, and it's because I kept getting these annoying news letters that I logged in to disable them.

I started disliking her books (her plots and characters) after I read about two thirds or so of them. I think most people who hate her books are people who actually read them, and compared them (as I did). As I grew, my selection in book categories evolved, so I stopped reading her books, because I swear some of them gave me headaches. So please, Ms. Collie Lover, don't say that we heard it from a friend, because most of the Meg Cabot "haters" are former readers. Why do you fans all assume we are jealous and stupid? I find that offending. I have no problem with her success. Most of you will arrive in a phase where you'll realize her books are aimed at pubescent girls, who only want fluffy stories and hot guys. Even the books for adults (i.e Queen of babble) are taken out by 12 and 13 year olds, because the plots simply aren't that striking. She's a best selling author because of her readers, and most of her readers want basically the same thing, so she's giving it to them.

I'm not saying that Ms.Cabot doesn't have talent. I just find her characters highly predictable and repetitive. I'm not saying that some of her ideas and concepts aren't original, they certainly are. A girl who saves a president, a girl who sees ghosts, a girl who is actually an heir to a throne... It's just the way she lays them down that make them so... average. Sure, her first few books were break-throughs. She saw what people like and just repeated the style.

-The heroine of the story always talks too much. ALWAYS. They go off-topic, have the same attitude and speech.
-The heroine has something she dislikes about her self, only to appreciate it at the end of the book/series.
-The heroine thinks she has a crush on a guy, only to find out he's a jerk. She then proceeds to liking another guy, which in the end, she always seems to get.
-The heroine always has this unknown talent and it gets acknowledged by other people, only she thinks is useless.

And I could go ON forever. What I've written above doesn't necessarily happen in each book, but there is a pattern. Not to mention, some people dislike her books because some times there are remarks that imply racism (I have found quite a few remarks in the books that have offended me and several other readers) and nearly all her characters are caucasian, which means lack of variety. (I say nearly, because I haven't read each one of her books.)

The reason I posted this is because of the apalling number of people who think that I'm stupid, jealous, don't have a life, like to criticise people, and haven't read any of Ms.Cabot's books.

Aren't you being narrow-minded and hating on us? Have you met any of us "haters"? Just as I, never met Ms.Cabot, I'm not going to judge her by her books, as you shouldn't judge me of my opinion of her books.

There will ALWAYS be people who don't like her or her books, for their own reasons, and they have any right as you do to express their dislike by making a website or just saying it. Just as you fans who make websites because you like her and her books. It doesn't stop Ms.Cabot from being a best-selling author, does it? We "haters" aren't affecting her popularity.

Instead of calling us names and saying that we're stupid and jealous and idiots, why not have a fair debate? Why not prove your point in a more graceful manner?

If anyone does want to reply to my post, please do without saying "For a hater, you sure seemed to wasted a lot of your time on this", because I didn't, it took me around 10 min, and I will not just look at people insulting me without defending myself. I'd also like to say that even though I dislike most of her books, doesn't mean that I completely stopped reading them.. From time to time, I pick one up to see if her writing style has changed. *grin*

I didn't mean any offense at all, and I hope that you all could read my post without bias for Ms.Cabot.

The thing is, we weren't calling people who dislike Meg's books jealous - we were calling people accusing her of copying her jealous. It's fine not to like Meg's books, but we think that accusing Meg of copying is just stupid because she does not copy. Her books definitely bear certain resemblences to other peoples' books, but any similarities were probably sub-conciously and un-intentionally included - if they weren't then I would lose a bit of my respect for Meg, I think.

And look at the amount of races on this message board! Her racist comments can't have been that bad - I can't even remember any racist comments. Could you remind me of them please?

I hope I have presented this opposing argument in a 'graceful manner' and that I didn't offend you!

~ :spinstar: ~ Char ~ :spinstar: ~

#62 Beautifully Intended

Beautifully Intended

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 10,131 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:04 PM

I LOVE Meg`s books.When ever I feel sad they cheer me up.The Princess Diaries is very original!if not so who cares? If your gonna slag things for being unoringial then slag all the teen movies there out there.As much I love them they have the same ending and beginning and sometimes the same middle.

Not sure if you're replying to suze_n_jesse in particular or just the thread in general, but if you were talking to suze_n_jesse, she doesn't think that Meg's books are unoriginal at all. She said specifically that she thought Meg's ideas were very original, just that the execution of said ideas has become repetitive (which I don't understand, but whatever).

#63 Stickit2-the-MAN

Stickit2-the-MAN

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:54 AM

^^I was just replying to the board in gerenal

sorry if that was unclear

Clara

#64 eprw93

eprw93

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:14 AM

Although you make a some good points, I have to disagree. Sure there are a few similarities, but just look at the main story of each of her books... Princess Diaries? A girl finds out she is heir to the thrown of a country while she tackles teenage life. The Size Books? A woman works in a residence hall and has to face all the crazy things that happen there. Pants on Fire? Someone from the popular girls past who could ruin her reputation comes back to town. Queen of Babble? A woman from a small town tries to make a big career for herself (I havn't read the 3rd book yet, lol) while facing love life problems.

Sure all these main characters may talk alot, may be ungrateful of what they have, but that isn't the main point of the story.

I enjoy Meg's writing style, so when she releases a new book, I expect the same style that I love. But who knows, maybe my views will change when I get older.

I also agree with what Boothy said about the fact that there may be slight similarities to other books, but there's only a certain amount of stories that can be written. Of course loads of books are always going to be slighty similar, but there's always something in Meg's books that make them that bit different.

And also, I've never noticed any racist comments in Meg's books. And, to agree with Boothy again, it would be very hard for Meg to write a story as someone a different race, religion, or culture, than she's experienced. She does have other characters in her books that are different races or religions though.

#65 CrazyBeth

CrazyBeth

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

i have read shopaholic and queen of babble...and believe me there isnothin similar in them...
so all these people spreading stuff...should just get their facts straightened out...hmph....
Punk Princess

me too some of the book titles may be similar e.g QOB in the big city - shoaholic abroad and QOB gets hitched - shopaholic ties the knot but the books are not the same at all

#66 CrazyBeth

CrazyBeth

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:16 AM

In response to these posts:

OK i get your point but the reason all her characters display some of the same personality traits is that those are personality traits that meg herself owns (believe me she said this on her blog ) and when authors write they generally give their characters a touch of their own personality because this is something they know to be true and so the character seems more lifelike .
And the reason all of her main characters fall in love and get hot guys is because they are romance books !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#67 Ari-san

Ari-san

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 8,496 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:00 AM

And, to agree with Boothy again, it would be very hard for Meg to write a story as someone a different race, religion, or culture, than she's experienced. She does have other characters in her books that are different races or religions though.

I find that so interesting because I was born and live in Australia, but I'm not Caucasian, and yet, I feel that there's no difference between me and Joe Bloggs (who may be Caucasian). Sure, I might eat rice more often than Joe Bloggs, and receive red pocket money during Chinese New Year (and I'm sure that everyone and I could point out several other things that I would do, that everyone else might not), but to me, they're all "superficial". It's like something I do, rather than something I am (it's difficult to explain). So, I think, from my point of view, Meg could write a book about a non-Caucasian, because as a non-Caucasian myself, I don't see such huge differences. After all, for every certain thing/viewpoint that one person (who isn't Caucasian, let's just say) does/has, I'm sure you could equally find a Caucasian person who does or thinks along similar lines. Of course, this is coming from me, and I realise that not everyone is going to share the same perspective.

#68 emz

emz

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:19 AM

Ari-san
You made a great point.
There's not much difference between us all
:)

#69 InsertUsernameHere

InsertUsernameHere

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

To be honest, people who spread rumours and say things like this don't have a great life. They're jealous or something and taking that out on someone, in this case, Meg. Who, by the way, is an amazing author. =D

#70 Bookworm923

Bookworm923

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

From time to time, I pick one up to see if her writing style has changed. *grin*

First of all, not liking something about yourself is just human, and people do end up usually end up liking SOMETHING about themselves they didn't before. Even though I don't recall that ever happening in the mediator series. And a lot of teens generally like to talk, and queen of babble, well that would kind of ruin the title if she didn't. With the whole cute guy thing, that happens to a LOT of people, not just megs characters, that's just a common cliche, not neccesarily just Meg. And are you saying most people don't want anything else in life, let alone teens? because you would be nuts to say so. And a lot of the stuff you talked about didn't make since. I have plenty of friends who dislike Meg's books, I don't think they're evil just because they don't like the same books I do.

I've been in several writing workshops and what you're supposed to do is find your own writing style, your own voice, your own perspective. That generally implies just ONE style.

I agree, like it said in AAG, write what you know. I think her writing style is based off her experiences, she doesn't randomly put things on paper and they magically turn into the way characters react to things, she somewhat writes what she herself has been through, like most great authors do.

And I'm a little offended that you went on here and tried to tell us off when you didn't even completely know what we were talking about. But whatever, I'm off to the rant forum to cool off.
-Kayli ;p

#71 princess_precious

princess_precious

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Moderators
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

hello everyone!

lets remember to state our opinion without hurting or offending anyone.

thanks!

aji :D

#72 .::.dArQaNjIl.::.

.::.dArQaNjIl.::.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:34 AM

i have read shopaholic and queen of babble...and believe me there isnothin similar in them...
so all these people spreading stuff...should just get their facts straightened out...hmph....
Punk Princess

Not QoB and Shopaholic, QoB and Can You Keep a Secret. I havent read CYKAS in a LOOOOOONG time, but I did find they were very similar. And CYKAS was published before QoB I believe.

#73 XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:00 AM

I think Meg's ideas are very original.

Meg's books are not orginal. Full stop! But who's books are original? No one's. Not one book on here or in the world really are original, the plots have all been used before, but that dosn't mean the books aren't good, every book isn't original I mean her missing series, a lot of books are like that and all her books but the way she writes her books it's good and it keeps me gripped and I bet most of the people on this site to are kept gripped by them. So what I'm saying no book is original...it might be bad, ok, acceptable, good, great, fantastic, magnificent ect, ect but not original.

I hope I havn't offened anyone by that^ :)
XPenny PringleX

#74 nadytoo

nadytoo

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:57 AM

I think the Airhead series was definitely original. Jinx portrayed magic in a very different way, not including wands and magic spells. And the Princess Diaries were definitely original. There are many authors whose books are very original and entertaining. You should look into them.

--Nadeen--

#75 PurpleBelly.

PurpleBelly.

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

I have to say I disagree, Penny. I think some plots haven't been used before, and even if some plots are along the same lines, they have been portrayed very differently to make them seem as if the plot has come from the same idea.

Mimsie.

#76 XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:47 PM

Mimsie Even if it's like along the same lines I agree it might be used very differantly but the IDEA itself isn't original, for example I have a story on here about a haunted house, and there have been lots of books that involve haunted houses, but no stories has been like mine, so what I'm saying is the way you write the story might be original but the IDEA not.

Nadeen none of the books you have said are actually original all the IDEAS have been used before and I've read lots of books like Meg's but I think Meg's are the best!

#77 XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:48 PM

^^^^Woops! I forgot my sign off, XPenny PringleX^^^^
XPenny PringleX

#78 crazy_bookworm

crazy_bookworm

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

Penny - What you said makes no sense. "Not one book on here or in the world really are original." So what about the first books in the world? Surely they are original. Shakespeare. Aren't his works original? I realise that he mostly wrote plays but his scripts are available for people to read, so I would class those as books. And I think many contemporary books are original also. Like Nadeen said, you should look into them. Just because the idea of a haunted house isn't original, it doesn't automatically make the whole book unoriginal. For example, you could have a pink haunted house that flies and goes by the name Nancy (first thing that came into my head). That's original because to my knowledge that idea hasn't been used before.

Grace x

#79 XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:39 PM

Yes, I guess, but that was what I was SAYING, my haunted house IDEA wasn't original but the way I write it and stuff, is because that book hasn't been used before but the IDEA has, well the first ever books were original but after that, I was talking maybe to this day...the book and how it was written what happens is original but the IDEAS aren't.
XPenny PringleX

#80 crazee_top

crazee_top

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:08 AM

Yes, I guess, but that was what I was SAYING, my haunted house IDEA wasn't original but the way I write it and stuff, is because that book hasn't been used before but the IDEA has, well the first ever books were original but after that, I was talking maybe to this day...the book and how it was written what happens is original but the IDEAS aren't.
XPenny PringleX

I do think that even the very first story of a type weren't always original.

Dreams, things you see, things that happen, people. They all create the ideas. I see news articles and come up with an idea. Sure, my story isn't the news article, in fact, it isn't the same story but I got the idea before. It came from somewhere.

I had a dream and I turned it into a story. The story ended up nothing like the dream but their was still the whole story coming from the dream.

I think, sub consciously, we get our ideas from things that we've seen or heard but they aren't the same and people will always pick up on similarities even if you don't.

I personally love Meg and her books but I can understand why you wouldn't and how you'd see them as unoriginal even if I don't.
~Jamie xx

#81 XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:58 PM

I do think that even the very first story of a type weren't always original.

Dreams, things you see, things that happen, people. They all create the ideas. I see news articles and come up with an idea. Sure, my story isn't the news article, in fact, it isn't the same story but I got the idea before. It came from somewhere.

I had a dream and I turned it into a story. The story ended up nothing like the dream but their was still the whole story coming from the dream.

I think, sub consciously, we get our ideas from things that we've seen or heard but they aren't the same and people will always pick up on similarities even if you don't.

I personally love Meg and her books but I can understand why you wouldn't and how you'd see them as unoriginal even if I don't.
~Jamie xx

I don't get the last bit do you mean can't...
XPenny PringleX

#82 crazee_top

crazee_top

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:54 AM

I don't get the last bit do you mean can't...
XPenny PringleX

No, I mean even though I personally like Meg Cabot I understand why others don't because I feel the same about other books.

#83 kiya12309

kiya12309

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:03 PM

Yeah, I can totally see people not liking them. there are just some people that are too serious, and non-fun loving, hahahaha.

#84 XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:49 PM

Agreed^.
XPenny PringleX

#85 Jesse Rox!!

Jesse Rox!!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

Meg has like the most original ideas on earth! Who can think of a brain transplant, a girl who is struck by lightning and an Arthur reincarnation?! As for the similarity between characters, 9/10 authors follow the same thing. Her characters are down to earth and something to which common people like us can relate. Her plots are always different. The whole getting-the-guy-in-the-and-HEA is something we all want. Like if she doesnt make the guy and girl meet, would we be satisfied?! We crave for the HEA cos we dont get it in real life. Most people love books cos eventually everything is set straight and its OK in the end. She writes all this because we like it. And thats what an author's supposed to do I guess..

Suze :m:

#86 Bookworm923

Bookworm923

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

^^^Yeah, there are so many ideas that have been used, but HOW you approach them. Like airhead, I have seen a lot of books and movies like that. Now you add a tomboy going into a SUPERMODELS body. then WOW!!! Not to mention the whole conspiracy thing. It's no JUST another Sci-fi book, it's THE book! And I agree with you, we all want romance. Well, at least I do. I love the way that Meg MAKES her story original, by adding tons of twists.
But regarding the whole hate website thing, don't these people have a life? No offense, but these people sit around all day talking about how much they hate meg? :huh:
I think if you honestly don't like someones books, just don't read them. Instead of reading the books just so you go talking about how horrible you think their books are.
-Kayli :P

#87 XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:04 AM

Suze: LOADS of people have written about people getting struck by lightening, and reincarnation! I'm not saying her books aren't original but her IDEAS are not!
XPenny PringleX

#88 Jesse Rox!!

Jesse Rox!!

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

But she did add her touch to the whole thing, so that makes it original I guess...

Suze :m:

#89 StrawberryPrincess

StrawberryPrincess

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

My opinion is that each and every single story in this world is original as long as the author didn´t try to copy something else. The plots and ideas might have been used a hundred times but what makes a book original is the way it is written. The details. The characters.
I think Meg´s books are very original. Okay, I´ve read other books about people seeing ghosts. Better books even. And still the mediator books are original because Suze is quite a unique character, there´s the whole Shifter thing, the ghost is living in her bedroom...I could think of more.

And look at the amount of races on this message board! Her racist comments can't have been that bad - I can't even remember any racist comments. Could you remind me of them please?

I think she might mean those little remarks Meg sometimes makes in her books. I found quite some about Germans, probably because I am german, but they didn´t really offend me. They weren´t that bad.

Love,

Kati

#90 XxjonasbroashleymileyfanXx

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

That's what I've been saying, the books are original just not the ideas for the books, the way it's written and what happens, the details in the book are original, just not the IDEA for the book, understand what I'm saying?

Oh and on the topic of Meg being racist about Germans and things, it's completely out of order how she did that, I'm not saying I don't like her books, her books are great, but if she says bad things about Germans, that's horrible.
XPenny PringleX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users