Photo

Best friends...til the end better off as lovers

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: About my story (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like this story?

1. YES CARRY ON WRITING MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!! (15 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. It's okay, I'll see where it goes... (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Its allright but I don't like it. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. STOP WRITING, SAVE THE WORLD!!! (0 votes [0.00%])

Do you prefer this version or the old one?

1. Yes this one is better. (18 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No, the last one was better. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

Here it is again!! It's my christmas present to my boyfriend cos he loved it so much cos I compliment him a alot.
But I figured you'd all like to read it too!!

Here is the first chapter:

I guess I start this story by telling you who I am and what means the very most to me. My name is Melanie Austen, daughter of Andrew and Wendy Austen. I live in Cornwall and have done so for most of my life. I have known Jack Carter since the age of four. A long time but thankfully we are still as close as we had been ever since he dumped dirt down my dress. Even though it sounds like a strange way to befriend someone, it's true. He was always looking out for me.

Which leads me onto what matters most to me in the world; friends. Well for a long time Jack had meant so much more to me than simple friendship would allow. Much more than best-friendship would allow. No, I felt, even from a young age, that this could possibly be the very boy who I was 'destined' to live the rest of my life with.
Though I would be totally embarrassed if he read that I thought that, seeing as he doesn't know and well, they're my thoughts and they should be my very own secret.

My story starts with my leaving home; it's not as dramatic as that sounds, it was a geography trip, to the county of Dorset which I had only ever passed through driving up to my hometown of Sheffield to visit relatives. Now dear readers, if you read on, you will travel with me on the trip which would change my life (for the better) forever.

Even when he was asleep he was gorgeous I literally couldn't take my eyes off him. Him, with his entrancing brown eyes and dark brown hair. All I wanted to do was rest my head on his welcoming chest. There was barely enough room for the two of us on this creaky old bus chair, but we'd squeezed onto it somehow. I had hoped that it was because he couldn't bear to be parted from me but I knew that was all in my head. There was no chance he loved me I was just his best friend, he would never think of me as anything else. Which was good in some cases but not in others. It was good because it's always a dilemma when you love your best guy friend; it never progresses smoothly.

I shook my head, banishing the thoughts that frequently passed through my mind, telling myself I was being stupid to do this to myself. Sadly I had stirred him and he looked up, a tuft of hair protruding out of the back of his head and his eyes still half-closed sleepily. I smiled to myself and said,

"So you're finally awake sleepy-head!"
"Huh, I wasn't asleep," I rolled my eyes, always trying to be macho when it was obvious he was just a big softie more than anything else.

I stared out of the window, watching the bus leave behind the Cornish countryside and heading into the county of Dorset into which I had never set foot before. I felt Jack fidget next to me so I turned around and looked at him. I looked directly into his eyes which as usual was a mistake, every time I look into those eyes, I feel myself sink into them never to return. I don't exactly know if I mind falling into his eyes, but while I'm there I know that nothing will hurt me. I allowed my eyes to linger for a moment longer before tearing them reluctantly away.

He then turned around to talk to Jade, oh how could I forget about her? The main reason the course of our love would never run smoothly. The person Jack thought he loved, how I hated to see them together, she gave him so much false hope then shot him down. That's when he comes to me, asking what he did wrong and to comfort him. Couldn't he see that she wasn't good enough for perfect him? That she was merely a ^$#@$^^ that flirted with anything that moved. I could feel my anger starting to take over me so I checked myself and put on a smile and turned around as well.

"So this is fun" I said sarcastically "Sleepy-head over here was asleep the whole way leaving me bored out of my mind."
"Well I think he looks cute asleep; don't you think he looks cute Mel?" Jade said in her usual whiny voice, why she had to drag me in I don’t know. In my minds eye a pen was sticking out of Jade's forehead, and yes, this girl was supposed to be my friend, admittedly she didn't know how I felt for Jack but she could try to be less flirty!

I slumped back into my seat mumbling that sure he looked cute, when Jack also went back into his seat and poked me, in the side, hard.
"Oi! That's mean, I wasn’t paying attention. And for that, you will pay!" At that I practically jumped on him poking him viciously. He then practically screamed
"All right that's enough, my sides ache now leave me alone." So as usual I gave him one last poke and then got off of his torso. I used to love those moments but lately, I just want him to stop me getting off of him and for him to just let me lay there. It just reminds me how unlikely us ever getting together really is.

"So how's it going with Jade?" I whispered, trying to sound truly interested, which I was, to see how long I had left to live because if Jack went out with Jade I think I would rather die than watch them together.
"Oh I don’t know, she throws out all the signals but I'm just not getting the right vibe from her" His voiced drooped and my heart went out to him.

'That’s because she's a ^$#@$^^' I thought to myself but I couldn't say that could I?
"Oh, well I'm sure she'll come around" I reluctantly said. Sometimes I hate myself, I really do.
"I hope so," Jack said before settling down to another snooze. I watched him drop of I looked down his face until I came upon his lips, which looked so soft and inviting...

I sat there, pretending to be asleep but really I was looking out of the corner of my eye at Mel silently dropping off to sleep. I hadn't really been asleep before, I was watching her watching me. I had tried to keep the smile off of my face when I thought of my plan. I then thought of the latest lie I had had to tell Mel about my apparent love for Jade, when I didn't really like her anymore than a dung beetle, but I knew how she loved to flirt and so I used that to my advantage. Yeah, make Mel jealous and then she'll have to tell me. Little would she know that I was already there, waiting to make my move and secure the love of my life.

I thought back to all those days back in year 2 when they had been made to sit next to each other and how I'd terrorised her just to have some way to make her notice me. I hadn't known how to handle it any other way.
I felt a sudden pressure on his shoulder and Mel’s' head slumped against me. I opened my eyes and looked down at her face, her perfect, beautiful, intelligent face, framed in vibrant golden blonde hair which shimmered in the sunlight. I could hardly hold back the kiss that I'd longed to plant on her soft plump lips for over eight years. But somehow I restrained myself and gently placed my head on her soft hair and drifted off to sleep.

My main change is that it's all going to be in first person, including Jack's POV.
Hope you like it and comment please!!

-Hayley

#2 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Oh, and by the way, the link to the old version is HERE if you want to compare or something.

Thankies

-Hayley

#3 x--JinxedAngel

x--JinxedAngel

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Yay! First comment! Woohoo! Update soon Miffy! It's really good.

Jinxy :m:

#4 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

Thanks Raylin and Jinxy!!

I agree with you on that Raylin, I mean, it would probably take me twice as long if I had all the time in the world.

But I only have till christmas.

And while I think about it, hows about I try to make a totally funky front cover?

Jeez, it's times like these I really ought to learn how to use Paint Shop Pro.

Anywho, the next chapter will probaly be ready tomorrow. But that does mean I will have to neglect my other stories a bit.

Not fair!!

-Hayley

p.s I totally love FOB and that song is like one of my favourites. I just got the album!!!

#5 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:34 PM

Here's chapter two. In the old copy this is chapter two and three, but chapter two was insanely short so I combined them.
Enjoy!!

Chapter two:-

I awoke with a start, bashing my head against Jacks waking him. We both looked up sleepily to find that the bus had stopped and that the teacher was shouting at all the students on the bus to hurry up and get off of the bus. We wearily grabbed all our suitcases and other stuff and wheeled them into the hotel lobby. I was surprised there was even a grand hotel like this in Dorset as I had thought that it would be some desolate country thing, but apparently not. Most of all was the fact my school had decided on this place for our visit. Let's just say the bare minimum is adequate for my school. Not that I would change it for the world.

As I walked in I breathed a gasp of awe as I looked around at the marble floor and elaborate chandelier above the wide sweeping staircase and yes, next to it was a shiny brass elevator. It was perfect right down to the concierge sat behind the reception desk, politely waiting for us to announce who we were. This polite man then strode from around the desk and said,

"You must be the school party. Welcome to Stormy Heights, I hope your stay is comfortable. Unfortunately there is a slight glitch with the rooms; a last minute booking from a very important client means that unfortunately two people will have to share a room," who would be sharing? He was talking to us to clearly he had already discussed the 'issue' with our teachers. He then coughed and carried on, "I have been informed that though this will be a mixed sex room, the individuals in question have the closest friendship and therefore are quite trustworthy. Thank you. If you would like to form a line, I will issue your keys."

We bustled into a line, still not knowing who would be sharing, though I had an idea. 'Closest friendship' he had said, 'mixed sex' he had said. Now I know only one pair of individuals among the party that had that kind of relationship; me and Jack. When I got to the front of the line, Miss Gold our teacher passed me the key and smiled at me.

"You will be sharing a room with Jack, is that alright?" I nodded numbly and walked on to find Jack. God, even the school knew that nothing would happen between us. When I found him I told him the situation and then we squeezed into the lift and went to our room. As we walked in through the door, we stared as we noticed that there was a canopy double bed, the kind you would put in a honeymoon suite; only one though. Images filled my head of falling to sleep on Jack's chest but I was brought back to earth by Jack saying,

"Well, this is good planning! I guess I'll let you have the bed"
"Are you sure?" Hoping and praying he would let me share with him.
"Nah, the sofa looks comfy enough. Could even be a sofa-bed" And sadly to my horror it was in fact a sofa-bed. I dumped my stuff on the bed and jumped on in a huff.

I looked at Melanie lying on the bed. How I wished I could join her, but it was too early for my plan to work to its full potential. When I had walked into that room with its double bed and massive bath it had become almost too hard to restrain myself. I smiled to myself as I thought of Mel trying so hard to get me to share the bed with her. 'All in good time' I thought to myself.

I then awarded myself on my amazing persuasion skills; it was in fact me that arranged that we would share a room, pointing out to the teachers that Mel felt like my sister and I'm hardly going to make a move on my sister now am I? They agreed as they had seen our friendship progress over the years and they hardly thought anything could happen now. How little they knew, how little absorbed into their minds of what was staring into their faces.

I sat up straight and looked at Jack and jokily pointed out,
"At least Carl's not here, because otherwise he'd have an embolism or something!"
I thought he would laugh, but he just looked at me while going through his suitcase and said,
"And why are you still going out with him?"

"I told you, I just haven't figured out how I'm gonig to break up with him yet, I really want to, but I don’t' want to hurt him" Jack just rolled his eyes and stalked into the massive bathroom and locked the door.
Yes, that's right, I have a boyfriend. But before you judge me, I just have to say in my defence that Carl and I aren't exactly the best suited couple. Carl's an intensely clingy person and I am, well, a free spirit. I don't like to be protected excessively. I can handle it in small doses but otherwise it's just suffocating. I can't just say to him "Oh yeah it's over," because he would simply go into a depression.

Oh and one more stinker in the whole scheme of things; Jack is Carl's best friend. Yeah, exactly, I probably made a mistake telling Jack about the impending break-up but at the time I had wanted to see what his reaction would be. To my disappointment, Jack seemed more worried about Carl's feelings than anything to do with me. It sounds heartless now, but at the time it had made perfect sense. I saw Jack wander out of the bathroom earlier in his pyjamas; no shirt. I had to stop myself staring at him as he threw himself onto the sofa. It was 11o'clock so I figured I'd go and change into my pyjamas too and climb into that massive bed.

I watched as Melanie rummaged through her suitcase and saunter into the bathroom. I thought about all the baggage Mel would probably come with, plus the possible loss of my friendship with Carl. But I don't really care, we weren't as close as everyone thought we were. Melanie was my world and the only thing I needed. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mel walk cautiously out of the bathroom checking to see if I was looking. She thought I couldn't see her so she ran out and I couldn't help but think "Damn she looks good in anything" she was wearing a t-shirt of Carl's so it was oversized like a nightshirt but she had to keep tugging at the bottom to keep herself covered. I smiled and sank into the sofa.

"Are you sure that you don't want to sleep here tonight?" I asked one last time.
"Melanie, if I say ok will you shut up?" He snapped, obviously Jack wasn't an evening person, I have to admit that I recoiled at the use of my full name, to Jack I was always Mel.
"Yeah I will" I replied with a smile playing around my lips. Then Jack walked over and pulled the sheets back, for a moment I thought he was going to get in with me but then he just said,

"So are you moving or what?" I slid out of the bed trying not to look disappointed when I remembered the shirt. Why oh why had I let Carl bully me into taking this thing? It barely covered anything and if it wasn't for the pair of boxers underneath I wouldn't wear it in public. But how could I have known that I would be wearing it in front of Jack??
I practically sprinted over to the sofa and jumped in, I noticed the sheets already smelt of Jack and so I snuggled down and dropped off.

I slid out of my bed when I was sure Mel was still asleep and walked over to where she was sleeping. I knelt down and looked into her attractive, clever, face. I leant over her and planted a small kiss on her lips. I inhaled her warm, inviting scent and wished things could have been different. Why had she chosen him over me? Couldn't she see he wasn't worth her time? I sighed and then got back into my bed and went to sleep.

Hope you liked it!

-Hayley

#6 CatPalas

CatPalas

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:14 AM

Yaaaaaay! I like this version better ;)
It must be the first person... :mellow:

Anyway... update soon, Hayley!

:mgwave:
Catarina

#7 SoccerRules

SoccerRules

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:21 AM

*New Reader*
Oh my stars, this is great!
Aswsome! A Masterpiece!
Please, you have to update ASAP!
Cerra :mgwave:

#8 batwomen_95

batwomen_95

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:48 AM

i love your story & i love cornwall, been there a few times but i used to live in rochford
now i'm stuck in western Australia!
have you read any cathy hopkins?
they are in cornwall as well,
update soon,
elle :happy11:

#9 xox_DevilishAngel

xox_DevilishAngel

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hey, I'm new reader :)
Your story is really good!
Hope you're gonna update soon!

xoxo
~ paula :spinstar:

#10 shadowland750

shadowland750

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

Oh my god, this is so good. I love how it flows and it seems relatable. A lot of love stories just don't flow, but yours is really awesome. I am not lying. You should try to get published.

#11 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:42 PM

Hey guys! I'm back, I've just had so much homework lately!

Here's an update. Enjoy!

I woke the next morning to find Jack perched on the edge of my 'bed' shaking my shoulder. I dopily turned over and rubbed my eyes. Seeing I was awake he silently cheered and said,
"Mel, the teachers sent me to wake you up, we need to leave very soon."

"Oh God!" I jumped out of bed forgetting to be embarrassed over my apparel, grabbed the first items of clothing I could find and sprinted into the bathroom. How could I sleep so late? I always wake up at 7am regardless whether it's a weekend or not. That's just typical isn't it? After I had pulled on my clothes, a jean skirt and pink shirt with a bikini top underneath. I just HAVE to wear a bikini whilst on holiday; you never know when you could hit the beach. I looked at myself in the mirror. I didn't care whether I was already late; I looked like a train wreck. I quickly applied some mascara and lip gloss and quickly attacked my hair with mousse to try to tame. When I emerged from the bathroom, Jack in took some breath and said,

"So you're finally ready then?" He winked and grabbed my hand to pull me down me down the hallway.
As we walked down the stairs Jade ran up to us and to me said
"Oh thank god your finally awake sleeping beauty!" and to Jack "You, are coming with me!" She quickly tugged at the hand which moments earlier had been around my own hand. Mine, not unlike his I guessed, was tingling from his mere touch. His however was caused by Jade. I don't think I could even describe the feeling that gave me, it's as if all my worst fears were encased in that simple fact; Jack likes Jade. He may even love her, but I choose not to go there.

I could see that I would have no one to sit next to on the bus, but then that predictable voice piped up, "Ooh Mel, come and sit with me." I had to say yes, even though Kaitlin is in fact THE most annoying girl on the planet, she's been through a lot so I can't tell her where to stick it can I?
"Do you want a polo?" Kaitlin asked for probably the twenty-fifth time in half an hour. I almost regretted my decision to be nice to her.
"I tell you what, if and when I want a polo, I will ask you for one!" at this, I turned up the sound of Fall Out Boy on my MP3 player and rested my head against the window. I knew the silence wouldn't last and sure enough, 5 minutes later, Kaitlin again asked if I wanted a polo, I was sure I was going to scream.

Why can't people leave me to wallow in my own self pity? It is just too much to ask? Instead I just ignored her and scanned the bus for Jack and Jade. Fun, I didn't really want to know what they were doing, I'm sure it would only depress me further.
Sure enough, there they were near the back; Jade typically had her legs on Jacks' lap and her head on his shoulder. I'm pretty sure I haven't hated someone as much as I hated Jade at that moment. Not that that had anything to do with jealousy, I mean, just because I'd imagined myself in that position for weeks only to get nowhere didn't mean I was jealous!

It was times like these I wish that I had just come out and told Jack right at the beginning of year nine how I felt so I wouldn't have to live through this pain. I don't really know why I hadn't, I mean, it's not as if he had a girlfriend or anything, I guess I had been waiting around for him to make the first move. It just never happened, a stupid mistake to make, I assumed he would make that critical move, but it's clearly not as if he actually likes me is it?

But then I was glad I wasn't in Jack's lap, because at that very moment Carl texted me, and that was what I really didn't need - another guilt trip due to the thoughts running through my head. His text simply said:
Hey bbz
Missin u loadz
Countin down till
U come back
Much luv
xxXxxXxx
This is reason number one why I don't want to break up with him; if I did he would be heart-broken. My other reason is my very strong desire to please everybody I meet, whether I like them or not, hence why I don't go tell Kaitlin to go stick it.

I saw Mel craning her neck way at the front of the coach. I chuckled to myself. This was too easy, I saw her flip her phone obviously to another text from Carl. He however was completely oblivious to her intentions, still raving about how wonderful she is, when it's not as if I need telling twice. Earlier when Mel was cornered by Kaitlin I couldn't help but laugh. She really hates Kaitlin, but it's not as if any of us could do anything about it, we don't like telling people where to find the door.
I still don't know what I'm going to do to get her to break up with him, I just can't do anything whilst they're still dating, it'd just be wrong. I had tried over and over in the past to get the courage to finally ask her out but the strength never came. Oh, don't get me wrong, I wanted to ask her with every fibre of my being, it's just that she's always been there you know? She helped me through everything. What if after all this speculation it didn't work? What if we lost our friendship forever?

Thankfully, half an hour later we arrived at our destination. The teachers had devised a cunning plan to let us just spend the day at the beach to unwind before we got down to work. See? The bikini theory!
So me and Jade (woo, not) decided we would top up our tans. Not that I would actually tan, but it was worth a try! I’m pretty much as white as snow, or as pale as Rose McGowan. I only burn, after about half an hour as well! But as we were lying on the beach, Jade turned to me and said, "Oh yeah, you see that guy over there, Ian? Well last night we got talking and now I'm going out with him." In my head I just went, oh no not again. Because I knew full-well that the moment Jack found out he would come to me for comfort, and these days it was just getting harder to give. Why couldn't he see that he was way too good for her? Way to good for me even but at least I could dream.

All I could say in return was "Oh really?" and I pretended to watch this 'Ian' guy, but really I was watching Jack run into the surf, wearing only a pair of shorts and his gorgeous dark brown hair which he had let grow long enough to blow in the cool breeze.
He ran towards us not long afterwards, but he went straight for Jade. I half wanted her to tell him and half didn't, I didn't want to have to comfort him again, I just wanted him for myself. But I certainly didn't want to watch so I got up under the pretence of getting another strawberry daiquiri. My favourite cocktail. When I got to the bar, I sat on a stool and slyly swivelled so I could get a better view. Jade was gesturing wildly in the direction of Ian, but Jack was just nodding, no look of sadness, nothing.

Ten minutes later, Jack went away again. Maybe it was a front. I couldn't help but be overjoyed by the fact he didn't seem bothered but let's face it; he knew how to put on a brave face. The teachers then called us back to the buses, we had to leave the warm, sunny beach and go back to the hotel for dinner.

-Hayley

#12 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:38 PM

Hey peeps, feeling a little unloved over here but I will keep posting!!!

Enjoy

"So do you want to talk about it?" I asked, sorta sheepishly, as Jack re-entered our room from the bathroom. A plume of smoke exited behind him, adding to the effect of him still undeniably being totally hot. It was kinda hard to talk to him because he'd just had a long soak in the massive bath and had come back into the room, to get his clothes, in only a towel. I'll admit I gawped a bit. Do you blame me?? The guy I have had a crush on for years, okay, have loved for years, walks into the room in only a towel and I'm supposed to act like a nun? Sorry, the rectory doesn't have a major appeal to me.

"Give me a minute woman; I'm hardly properly dressed am I? A bit like you really" I dubiously looked down. At least this time I was wearing shorts as well as the big t-shirt. But I let him go and get dressed and so I walked over to my bed and plonked myself down. He then he came and plonked himself on the end of my bed where I had just begun to get comfortable. He did in fact sit on my foot,
"Dude, bony ass!" I cried as he quickly moved off of my foot. I then looked at him expectantly, I knew from experience this could take a while. He shuffled a bit, rumpling my bed covers; my mum would have a fit. Everything had to be totally neat and she'd pretty much flip out when Dad messed up the duvet. Jack was looking obviously uncomfortable, though not necessarily upset at all, but I just looked at him and raised one eyebrow.

"Okay" he finally said "The reason I'm not really that sad about Jade and that Ian guy, as you've probably noticed, is because I'm kinda into someone else" those six words repeated in my mind for what seemed like an eternity, never for a moment would I let myself think that that person was me, I mean that was impossible! Though to have to go through all this heartache again would be just unbearable, it was bad enough with Jade but I could tell this new person would be even worse. You could guarantee that she would be way prettier than me, probably blonde with big, um, lungs. Her legs would totally be a whole lot better than mine are. Why am I doing this? If I just live through this latest crush, he might see me, patiently waiting for him. Wow that sounds stalkerish. It could be Emma, oh god not my best friend, that would kill me. Not that Emma's not a nice girl because she totally is; she is possibly the only person who knows how I feel about Jack and has actually kept it to herself. Jack would be lucky to have her. NO I want him! This totally isn't fair why can't he just tell me?

I watched all the emotions pass through Mel’s' eyes. If only she knew. I could tell that she was thinking through everyone they knew; apart from herself. I knew from all the times we'd spent together that Mel was unbelievably modest and had low-self esteem, so she would never think anyone would love her the way she deserved. Carl just couldn't cut it, but I can't do anything until they’d been split up a suitable amount of time. I thought that this bombshell would give her something to think about for a while, until she'd ended it with Carl. I needed to call Emma, who knew what he was planning and had in fact been the one to tell me Mel felt the way she does about me. I cannot explain the feelings when she told me, I was just dumbstruck. I thought I had missed my chance when she and Carl started dating but clearly not. Emma told me to call her every night and give her an update on how things were progressing. God, I make her sound like a project when in fact I love watching her battle with herself. She wants to tell me I can just tell. That sounds even worse; I'm going to stop now because I'm making myself sound like an idiot. What's new?

I just stared at him as he looked at me, I'll say intently, waiting for the question I was too scared to ask, but he knew I was going to. So I sucked up the guts and asked,
"So who is she?" I hardly dared breathe in wait of the name who stole the heart of MY Jack Carter.
"Oh that doesn't matter, you don't need to know," was his reply, I was shocked; we shared everything, so why wouldn't he tell me who this latest eye candy of his was? It made no sense.
"Oh and one more thing, can I borrow Emma’s' number because I wrote it on paper and left it back home."
"You know" I said jokily while looking for the number, "there's this thing on your phone called a phone book, you put peoples' numbers on it so you don't lose them" he just gave me THAT look, and took my phone off of me.

"What d'ya want to talk to her about anyway?" I asked prying a little, I didn't really have privy to what they talked about but they were my best friends, they should keep me in the loop!
"Oh I'd love to tell you, and maybe I will sometime." He winked and walked towards the door.
"This isn't over." I said in my best mafia voice with no avail. He merely blew me a kiss and walked out the door. When he was gone I reached up and grabbed the air in front of me. This was as close as I was going to get to him actually kissing me so I am going to treasure this piece of air.
How childish.
But why won't he answer any of my questions? Don't I deserve to know? God I sound like someone’s; well his, wife.

I walked into the sitting room of the hotel and flopped onto a chaise. Yes, a chaise. Now, flopping onto chairs; even chaise lounges, is frowned upon by the overly posh hotel staff so ignoring their evil looks of contempt I dialled Emma's number.
"Hiya Jack, how's it going?" She giggled, oh god it's going to be one of these conversations isn't it. She won't be able to stop now.
"EMMA!" Thankfully she stopped just then and grunted, "thank you. Now, I told her I liked someone else, what shall I do next?"
"Easy, you wait to see if she tries to make herself available. If not, you rant a little about your crush, which is really her but whatever."
"Thanks Em, I don't know if I could have done this without you. Now remember, not a word to anyone okay? I want this to be a surprise, especially for Melanie. Kapeesh?"
"Yeah yeah, now go lover boy, make her jealous!" I hung up and sank a little deeper into the chaise much to the mortification of the hotel staff. I laughed and got comfy.

#13 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

Later that evening, I rang Emma. Just to see what she had to say about what Jack had said to her. It couldn't be anything she couldn't tell me could it? I mean we tell each other everything.
"Heya, it's Mel"
"Hi so how are things going? I hope Jack's being a good boy and keeping his hands to himself. Not that you would complain if he didn't. But you guys having to share a room is kinda causing a riot back here."

"Emma! He's about as likely to not keep his hands to himself as I am to ever tell him how I feel. Are you serious? People are suprised they let us share a room? Don't they know we've been best friends for like, ever? Anyway, he phoned you earlier, you should know if he's being a good boy or not. What was that about anyway?" Okay, so maybe stealth isn't my best quality but I need answers here!
"Oh that, it was nothing, he needed advice on something." Did he need advice on the mysterious girl that he likes?
"Yeah, do you know who Jack is in to? Because he told me it's not Jade so I wondered if you knew and if so I would like to remind you that I
love you."

"Sorry my 'lil chipmunk but no. Sorry I've got to go to work now. Talk to you soon bye!"
"Bye possum." With that annoying news I hung up. Me and Emma during PE came up with names for each other. Possum because in the middle of benchball (if you've ever played it you can't be scared of balls like I am) I just came out with 'I wonder what a possum looks like'. And so possum was born!

Well, if he likes someone else and I don't know who, I can at least let him know I'm available. I don't want to date Carl anymore, I only want Jack, no one else. It sounds a bit corny I know but there's no time like the present. So without saying goodbye to Jack, who had fallen asleep on the sofa, I quietly walked out of the room and wandered down the hall to Jades room. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not proud of how I finally decided to get rid of my problem, but I just wanted it over with. I knocked on the door, my breath uneven as I contemplated how I was going to get rid of my boyfriend. Is this really how I want to do this? I mean it's not as if Jack even wants me but I guess he has been ushering me to do this. Actually ALL my friends have been telling me I should do this. Don't think that I didn't have a great time with Carl in the beginning because I really did, it was great fun.

When Jade answered the door, I decided this was best for me and that Carl would understand wouldn't he? I just said "Can you do it for me? I just can't handle it" she nodded instantly knowing what I was talking about and walked to her phone. I had to go back to my room because I just couldn't watch someone break my boyfriends heart on my behalf. Why couldn't I do it myself? I'd never done it before, they guy had always broken up with me so I knew all to well how it felt and I didn't need to hear him feel that way, I would feel too awful. I probably should have waited at least until I get back home, then at least I can see if he's okay. Breaking up with someone, by phone, by someone else when you are a hundred miles apart is so much worse than by phone by someone else in the same county. If that makes sense. I guess I really ought to have done it myself but its done now and there's no taking it back.

Besides, my only comfort on the whole Jack situation is how jealous Jack used to get when Carl and I were together. I used to think it was just frustration because he wanted what Carl and I had with Jade. But Carl told me he was jealous that he had me. I refused to believe him as as I have said before, Jack has never and will never be interested in me; Melanie Austen, best friend. It's just not how it works.
Later that evening, while Jack and I were watching TV there was a soft knock on the door, I got up and walked over to the door, knowing it would be Jade but I still didn't really want to know how he'd taken it. I opened the door and sure enough, there was Jade with a sad look on her face.

"What is it? How'd he take it? Did he cry? Does he hate me?" I was babbling but I just wanted to know how it had gone
"Ohh he's REALLY upset, he didn't believe me to start off with, but then he did and he just sorta broke down." This was the reason I had been so reluctant, I knew this was going to happen.
"Wait a minute" Jack cut in, "you're telling me that you finally got up the courage to break up with Carl, only to get Jade to do it for you?" His expression was increadulous. Seconds later his phone rang and we all knew that it was him. We all stared at that phone for what seemed like an age until Jack went and answered it.

I went and answered my phone. I knew who was on the other end and I knew that it would be hard to keep the party going on in my head to myself, but I had to try, I owed that much to my friend. Admittedly I was partly behind this as Mel had done exactly as Emma had said she would. I couldn't help but be blissfully happy over the turn of events, but she had got Jade to do it for her? That was a bit cruel.
"Hello?" I heard a broked voice on the other end
"Hiya Carl, how are you?" It was a pretty stupid thing to ask given the situation but I wasn't supposed to know and besides, I had to start somewhere.
"This is the worst day of my life how could she just end it like that? And to get Jade to do it is even worse!"
"Look man, maybe she isn't worth it, maybe it's time you moved on_"

"I will NOT move on, I gave her everything, my love, everything. I would have died for her and who's she going to end up with? Some guy who doesn't even know all she's worth, who doesn't know how amazing she is? I can't let that happen, I'll get her back if it takes me my whole life!"
"Carl, you're obviously overreacting, calm down and think about this logically. Why waste time on someone who doesn't want you back? Why not find someone who can make you happy?" All I heard was yelling on the other end of the phone,
"Oh it's you isn't it? You're the reason she doesn't want to be with me anymore. Well Jack, let's see who wins in the end. I'll never forgive you or stop trying to get revenge." He then hung up, leaving me dumbstruck. How had he known? I guess he knew I was jealous but I never tried to let it show. How could this happen?

I won't tell Mel, she would only worry, I know how much she hates to disappoint people and this is just terrible. How can he get her back? She doesn't even like him anymore, and it's not as if he can go around stalking her forever, he has to move on eventually.
Doesn't he?

#14 roni

roni

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:00 PM

oh my god.
i love the revised version!
update soon

Roni

#15 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

OOH, repost! I didn't see it before!

I love it just as much as I did the first time! :heartbeat:

Emily :icon_flower:

#16 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

Another Chappie!

Chapter six

I watched Jack all the way through his conversation with Carl, the expression on his face was unreadable, so clearly Carl was ranting down the phone at him. My heart went out to him because he had to talk to Carl about the break-up and I didn't, I did feel extrodinarily guilty about ending it even though I'd been thinking about it for weeks. He even looked a little worried towards the end, but that's just my mind playing tricks on me right?

Finally, Jack hung up and flopped down onto the sofa. All he said was,
"You owe me kiddo," all I could think was KIDDO??? Didn't he realise how I felt about him already, after all those playfights and all those times I told him all my problems, and then when I finally break up with the guy who had trapped me in a suffocating relationship the only thing he can call me is KIDDO???

God, even while I was mad inside all I can think about is how good he looks right now, all I want to do is curl up in his arms while he makes me feel so safe. All I needed was some hint as to how he feels about me. The simple fact he isn't at all mad about me breaking up with Carl has to be a sign right? It's not as if he was yelling at me for breaking his best friends heart.
Actually that is a point; why had Jack never been particularly bothered that I was going to break up with his best friend? If he was truly his best friend he would have had SOME reaction right? Urgh, that either means that he likes me or isn't a very nice person. Me; I am personally going to believe the former, it's so much more appealing.

It was getting late so we turned off the tv and got changed into our pajamas. I couldn't bare to wear Carl's boxers and t-shirt anymore so I asked Jack,
"Do you have anything I can wear? I don't want to wear these anymore." He looked at me with a disappointed expression,
"Aw but you looked so cute trying to cover yourself up all the time." I threw a cusion at him and he threw me a white dress shirt and some of his boxers. I admit I hadn't expected that. More to the point, why did he even have a dress shirt on a school trip? I was too tired to ask and so I just went into the bathroom to change and brush my teeth.

Why did I give her the shirt? Now she'll be asking herself all sorts of questions. She may even ask me and I can't and won't lie to her. But you see, the shirt is for the last night, the night I am going to tell her how I feel and now, because of my stupidity, she is wearing said shirt.
But oh my God she just came out of the bathroom in my shirt and damn does she look good. Better than good actually. I am going to buy her a shirt when I tell her I love her. I lay down in my bed, my mind filled with thoughts about my upcoming confession, how would she take it?
Mel had disappeared over to her bed and her steady breathing told me she was already asleep. There was a flash of light outside, but no thunder. I hope Mel's going to be okay, she hates lightening and thunder, since forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awoke with a start; I shot up in bed as another flash of light streaked across the sky. Jumping up I just saw the bed and the lump in the bed that must be Jack and ran, climbing into the bed from the bottom of the sheets accidentaly knocking Jack in my efforts to escape the violent flashes of light. Jack looked up suprised to find me there he gazed sort of blurrily from sleep in my general direction, his hair tufting at the back in the way it always did in the morning. I'm not sure if he actually regestered I was there, I saw his eyes glance over to the sofa then slowly slide back to me. I didn't have time to watch his facial expressions because then the lightning was joined by a crack of thunder and in a state of pure fright I pulled the sheets over my head and grabbed onto the nearest thing to me which just happened to be Jacks' hand.

As suprised as I was when I woke up to find Melanie in my bed, I wasn't neccesarily displeased. In fact, this was as close as we were going to get for a little while. But when Mel grabbed my hand, now I hadn't expected that. I knew Mel was scared of thunder and lightning, but she had never told me she was this scared. This in itself is very cute and it just makes me want to protect her which is something I know would not go down well. Mel is very independant, she knows how to look after herself. but I'll make her let me look after her sooner or later.

I smiled as I remembered the 'kiddo' remark, I knew that that would rattle her cage and sure enough I had seen the wave of anger pass over her features. Right at that moment, Mel let go of my hand as if it was a hot potatoe as if she suddenly realised what she'd done. Just at that moment, I pulled Mel's warm body into my arms.

All I could think was what is going on??? Why did Jack do that? He was looking at me all intently and I could see he face coming closer and closer; was he going to kiss me? I thought he liked this mystery girl? What if this girl IS me? I had never really thought it was a possibility. Strangly this was the moment I decided to feel self-concious about the fact I was wearing Jack's shirt which was in fact quite short. Yes I know, of all times I chose that moment. Jacks' face was literally an inch from mine now, he leaned in
"I think the thunders stopped now, you can go and get some sleep." I was shocked, I mean of all the things that could have been said he tells me to go back to my bed. Fuming, I threw back the sheets and stormed off to bed. How could I have thought he ever loved me? Had I been completely dense? How could someone like Jack ever even remotely like me in a romantic way?

As soon as I was sure she was asleep, I let out a sigh of relief. That had taken a lot of restraint, especially how gorgeous Mel had looked with her sleek blonde hair falling over one shoulder as she thought I was going to kiss her and then the hurt in her clear blue eyes as I told her to go sleep broke my heart. But the plan needed more time, needed to develop slowly. Ohh but how I had wanted to kiss her and hold her in my arms but it is just a fantasy unfulfilled - for now.
"I love you Mel" was all I said, into the darkness knowing no-one but me would hear and with a sigh I settled down to sleep.

#17 HoplessRomantic02

HoplessRomantic02

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

Haha. I couldn't help but crack a smile at the "Im just leaning in really close to your mouth but I wont kiss you so I can piss you off" tactic.
Poor Mel but she should really play hard to get. She throws herself at him. A LOT.
Oh, new reader :D

MiMi xx

#18 CatPalas

CatPalas

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:56 PM

Hey peeps, feeling a little unloved over here but I will keep posting!!!

Shush. We love you. And your stories.

Mel let go of my hand as if it was a hot potatoe as if she suddenly realised what she'd done. Just at that moment, I pulled Mel's warm body into my arms.

Honestly, that’s just too cute :heartbeat:

Update, Hayley, please :)

Catarina

#19 HoplessRomantic02

HoplessRomantic02

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

I wuv you THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS much.
Updation time!

MiMi xx

#20 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

Here is your update, I'm loved!!!! ♥♥♥
MiMi She should, but she is me, and I have to say I am a little obvious. I'm not saying that my Jack in reality would have actually done that, but it makes a good story.
Cat It would be cute if Jack wasn't being so completely annoying!

Anyway, here is chapter 7!

Jack's POV

The next morning I awoke to find that Mel had already left for breakfast. I hoped that my little stunt last night hadn't ruined my chances but she had only just broken up with Carl, it would be just cruel to do what I wanted so soon.

I got up and quickly showered, this could be a long day. I then got dressed, my mind always focussed on Mel. If I'm really truthful, these feelings are totally unfair. We had been fine whilst we were only best friends; we spent days and days together without ever realising where it would end up leading. To me playing mind games and possibly upsetting the girl of my dreams. Why am I even doing this? Oh yeah, for the added effect. Why not just come out with it the next time I see her?

Oh yeah, because that would mean telling her in front of God knows who. I can't do that, I'm a guy and I don't like to show how I'm feeling. Why is it that guys can't show how they feel without being ridiculed, it's not exactly fair is it? So what if a guy might love a girl, it doesn't make him too emotional or any other stupid thing moronic boys can think of. Really I think they are just too scared to admit that they have feelings too.

Well, the only thing I will try to accomplish today is to get back in Mel’s' good books. She would just think I was a jerk if I told her while she wasn't talking to me.

Mel's POV

I just couldn't stay there and look at him while he slept so I had decided to go and get an early breakfast. All the way down the stairs, all I could think about was last night, I could literally feel my heart being ripped out and chucked across the floor. No one should have to go through that. I kept thinking to myself that I ought to make him explain; make him tell me why in holy hell he had tricked me like that. But that would mean telling him everything. I just didn't think I could lay my heart out just to have it stomped on by the person who means the most to me.
Jack and I had never before had that playful, flirty relationship a lot of girl and boy friends had, we never saw each other as 'the opposite sex' we just got on too well for it to be an issue. Everyone always said we would like each other eventually; they said it was inevitable, like day turning to night. We always just laughed and carried on watching TV. It sounds so stupid now, the way I feel now, we had just dismissed the idea and never even thought it could happed to us.

We used to stay out all day, lie in a field and tell each other all our problems. Then when it began to turn to night, Jack used to walk me home because I was always afraid of the dark. Then he would go into my house just on the off chance my mum had baked cookies. He would then sit out with me on the swinging bench on the porch and we would play truth or dare, which was really just an excuse for us to tell each other our problems. This is still true in a way, Jack tells me all his problems, I just don't return the favour. My only problem is him, other than that, my life is peachy.

I then had to go back to the room to pack my bag for the day, clipboard, pens, pencils etc. I have to admit, the only reason I took geography was a) I thought you had to take a humanities subject (you didn't) and B) there were good trips, like this one now.

As we all trudged through a damp field, my trousers were getting wetter and wetter. Oh yeah, this is my 'good trip' dawdling through a field whilst half listening to Mr Savage; who happens to be the dullest man on the planet. As boring as this was, it was even worse because I wasn't talking to Jack. How could I after last night? Plus, being the self conscious person I am, I was mainly focusing on the fact that my hair was silently frizzing in the drizzle and that earlier I had slipped on the mud and now my butt was all muddy. Jack had laughed of course, because that's who he is, he does have a mean streak among his gorgeousness and witty personality. He especially terrorises Emma, once he dumped gross, squished up banana down her back, much to her dismay.

After slipping a few dozen times, to my horror I slipped and went hurtling in the direction of the river. Suddenly hands were grabbing my arms and waist pulling me back from the river. After getting my balance I looked up to see who my saviour was; and of course, it was Jack.
"Steady there kid," there was absolutely no expression in his face, as if he'd just saved a dung beetle just for the sake of saving it. And besides, what was with all the kid remarks? After all, he was only two months older than me, so all I did was shoot him a short smile and say, "thanks," and quickly walked off to where Jade was stood waiting for me

"What is going on with you two? You were fine yesterday, did something happen?" See, this was the problem with Jade, you hate her for how she acts around people you have a crush on and then she is so nice whenever you have a problem. But of course I told her, because she also has a talent for getting things out of you. She thankfully saw the reason I was so mad, but at that point Jack came over to see what we were talking about.

I decided to be mean and gross him out with 'Lady Problems' in my head he deserved it. He recoiled and walked away. In my head I was pleased he was gone but in my heart I missed him already. It was unfair that I was forced to go through all these emotions and not be able to actually do anything about them.

I hate men; they just screw with your head and somehow leave you begging for more. Well I'm not going to take it any longer; I am going to get over him. I will it's not as if I think he's my soul mate or anything like that. Not that I believe in that sort of thing.

Who am I kidding????

I am in love with him, there is no return. Now I'm depressed.

Jack's POV

I walked away from Mel's lame excuse I just kept thinking that I never thought she'd react like that, I mean I thought she'd laugh it off and we would be fine. I've got to do something....and fast. Even if it means pushing my plan forward a little. This tension's killing me as it is. What difference does a day make anyway? Is that a song? What the hell am I focussing on that part for?

#21 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

I REALLY think it's time for page two don't you?

Lol, I'm going to go and update my story Shy and in Love.

It's only 11:20pm. hmm. Need caffein.

Love you guys!

-Hayley ♥

#22 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

Sorry, I've been reading but I haven't had a chance to post!

I love this story just as much the second time around!

#23 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

Okaaay so here it is, Chapter Eight. Only two more chapters to go *sniff* though I MAY add some more chapters on to the end, because while the old ending was nicely wrapped up, the whole story was a little short.
Anyway here is the chapter

Chapter Eight

This was the last night we were staying in the hotel, we were setting off on the coach the next morning to get back to school for 4o'clock. I'm not sure how I feel about this trip; it had worn me down so much. But if I hadn't gone on this trip, I would never have broken up with Carl. But then again, I have to face him when we get back. This will NOT be fun.

I walked down to dinner early so that I could avoid Jack for as long as possible. I can't face him whilst knowing that he feels absolutely nothing for me, because that is what I have come to realise. There's no point trying to kid myself now, I should just face the facts.
But when I arrived in the dining hall, lo and behold; there he was, sat on a sofa in the corner talking on his phone. I edged slightly closer and hid behind a pillar so I could hear his conversation,

"Yes I know, I'll just have to tell her. No I don't know how. Well how are you supposed to tell someone something like that?" That’s all I heard him say and my mouth went dry. What had happened? Had someone died? I suddenly lost my appetite and ran upstairs to Jades room, never hearing the rest of the conversation.

Jack's POV

"Emma, I don't think you understand. How can you be sure she will even say she loves me too? You know how stubborn she can get." I heard Emma's distinctive laugh down the other end of the line.
"Yes Jack I know, but this is something she goes on about all the time, how if you ever told her you loved her she would pretty much have a heart attack." She laughed again and I smiled. This was probably true, how could I have let myself believe she would ever reject me. Even though that sounds so completely arrogant, it's just I've been told by Emma how much Mel likes me. It was in fact her who told me anyway.
I walked slowly back to my room, peeked round the door to check Mel wasn't there and then flopped down on the sofa. I just need to get ready and figure out what to say, but how am I going to tell her? You can't just have a conversation like this,

Me: Yeah by the way Mel, you are the love of my life. Okay?
Mel: Sure, what's on TV?

Even though I knew how she felt about me I didn't know how she would react. I knew she loved be but even so, it didn't mean that she would get together with me, for starters there was the problem with Carl. Emma had said that she had forgotten about him long ago but how could I know for sure? Well I guess there's only one way to find out.

Mel's POV

After about an hour of pouring my heart out to Jade, I left her room and walked down the corridor and silently opened my door. Looking round to see where Jack was, I noticed that the room had been cleaned, the bed had been made and through the bathroom door I could see Jack, checking himself out in the mirror.

Then as I looked closer around the room, I could have sworn the lights had been dimmed, I didn't even know there had been a dimmer switch!

That was when I saw it, a single red rose on the coffee table. It was probably for him, from Jade or something dumb like that. Or even his secret love. Anyway it wasn't for me because no one ever got me flowers. But all the same, all I could think was what on earth was going on? Jack saw me in the mirror and did a double take, obviously he hadn't heard me walk in. He walked over to where I was planted on the door mat, reached for my hand and pulled me over to the sofa.

When I sat down he held onto my hand; it may have been wishful thinking, but it seemed he didn't want to let go.
"So what's the deal?" I blurted out, seeing his confused look I added "The rose..."
"Oh right, I'll get onto that in a minute, but first I just want to check how you are." What the heck? How I was? That was only ever the beginning lines of a MSN conversation, we never did it in real life.

"Umm..I'm better than I was this morning, but seriously Jack, the rose?" I saw panic flash over Jacks dark brown eyes, the blue rim seeming to intensify. He didn't want to tell me but I just fixed his gaze and willed it out of him. I had never failed before and clearly this wasn't going to break the cycle, he breathed deeply and said,
"Mel, I've been trying so hard to get over this and I've finally come to the conclusion that it is impossible to escape. I suppose Emma told you about the girl I like." I nodded numbly, not really wanting to know what he was about to say.

Jack: Well I love Emma and we are getting married!
Me: *Hits self over head with piece of metal and passes out*

In my head all I kept saying was 'whatever he says, don't cry. Just don't cry and everything will be fine'. Well as fine as life without Jack could be, so not fine. Far from fine in fact, I had always at the back of my mind had the idea of Jack and I getting married and growing old together. But obviously not when our parents told us how we would eventually feel for each other.
I braced myself for his next words, not really knowing what to expect.

"Mel, the girl that I like, I know for a fact likes me too. I was just wondering what you think I should do. I mean should I tell her or not?" NO! My brain screamed. Do it now, just tell him and maybe, just maybe he'll leave this girl alone and run away with me. Just say those three little words and maybe everything will be okay.

"Well if you really like her, I guess so," I really hate myself sometimes.
"That's what I hoped you would say." Jack beamed at me and I smiled uncertainty. What was with all the cheesy grins?
"Mel, we've been friends forever haven't we?" I nodded, "and we never once thought about how we really felt for each other. Well today is going to be that day because; to just come out and say it is really really hard as you probably know," what was he talking about, thinking about how we feel for each other? This is not what I expected.

"What are you talking about?" I asked throwing my arms into the air. He sighed as if frustrated with me and said,
"Mel, you annoy the hell out of me sometimes then all you have to do is smile at me and I can't stop thinking about how much I want to kiss you." What? I was too shocked to reply, but Jack got to do the thing he clearly wanted, he reached over and kissed me softly, yet passionately on the lips.
"But...what....uhh" I mumbled, not really sure what to say, "What are you saying?" I asked, still for some reason bracing myself for some kind of joke.
"I'm saying, Mel, that I love you."

#24 CatPalas

CatPalas

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

I always miss updates :( I should get those thingies through email. Maybe I deleted it without reading --- which is possible *sighs*

"Steady there kid," there was absolutely no expression in his face, as if he'd just saved a dung beetle just for the sake of saving it. And besides, what was with all the kid remarks?

Tsk tsk it seems he’s trying to convince himself that she is not for him… :mellow:

I decided to be mean and gross him out with 'Lady Problems' in my head he deserved it. He recoiled and walked away.

Lmao of course he walked away. Poor thing. :P

Who am I kidding????

I am in love with him, there is no return. Now I'm depressed.

There there *pats Mel's back* everything will be okay thanks to Hayley here *pats Hayley’s back*, right?

Okaaay so here it is, Chapter Eight. Only two more chapters to go *sniff* though I MAY add some more chapters on to the end, because while the old ending was nicely wrapped up, the whole story was a little short.

YAY really? :lol:

These:

Me: Yeah by the way Mel, you are the love of my life. Okay?
Mel: Sure, what's on TV?

&

Jack: Well I love Emma and we are getting married!
Me: *Hits self over head with piece of metal and passes out*

were soo funny! :lol:

"But...what....uhh" I mumbled, not really sure what to say, "What are you saying?" I asked, still for some reason bracing myself for some kind of joke.
"I'm saying, Mel, that I love you."

ye-he update soon, Hayley!

:D

Catarina

#25 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

BUMP!

#26 HoplessRomantic02

HoplessRomantic02

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:22 AM

Awww!

MiMi xx

#27 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:58 PM

*BUMPY*

#28 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

Im going to write the update when Ive eaten in a moment okay?

-Hayley

#29 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

Okay here's your update!!

Chapter Nine

Inside my head a choir and birds were singing, could this be real? A part of me knew it had to be real but another, much greater, part of me thought that it was a dream and soon I would wake up in bed alone, again. I just had to make sure.

"Did you just say _"

Just then, a million thoughts entered my head. All those times in year 5 when we had stayed out all day just hanging out and talking, all those times we'd gotten in trouble for talking too much at school, the first day of year 7 when as we were walking in through the school gates for the first time he'd held my hand so I wouldn't be scared and all that time he kept asking me why I was still going out with Carl despite the fact I didn't love him. It should have been so obvious, but I had refused to see it, just because of my stupid refusal to see why anybody would ever want to love me. When in reality, he had probably loved me all along too.

"Did you say that you loved me?" I enquired, just to make sure I wasn't about to make a huge fool out of myself.
Jack began to babble,
"I tried not to, I mean, you were going out with my best friend, it just wouldn't have been right and he would have absolutely killed me. I kept trying to convince myself that we just weren't meant to be, that I just wasn't right for you or that it would never work out anyway. Then I just didn't want to fight it anymore, there just wasn't any point in fighting. I knew it had overwhelmed the want of getting rid of my feelings."

He handed me the rose that was still on the table.

"All I really need to know is how you feel." It was a simple request, but that meant that I would have to admit to Jack what I had barely admitted to myself. Especially with the fact I would have to say it in the presence of those eyes, those eyes that never seemed to be a single colour. Why was this so hard? He probably knew already, he probably knew before I properly did. It's a little weird to think that all this time during this trip; he's loved me like I've loved him. I just have to tell him that.

"I...I...I do...love you." How I had managed to get those 4 (or what had ended up as 6) words I will never know but the next thing I noticed was that the grip on my hand increased and I knew he NEVER wanted to let go.

He then quickly dropped my hand and put his hands on my cheeks and he kissed me. And then I knew it wasn't a dream, because in no dream could I ever imagine details like how soft his hands were against my cheeks and how great he smelt and how passionately he held me in his arms. Then his hands left my face and went towards my waist and he pulled me towards him and I could feel the heat radiating from his body. Then he broke away and my lips were left tingling.

I was so sorry that it had ended, but what Jack said next really shocked me.

"I have to admit, I've known how you felt about me for quite a while now, and I was just trying to get you to say it yourself. But you're a stubborn girl and you wouldn't do it. Plus I didn't really know how you would react. It was Emma that first told me, I couldn't quite believe it." HE couldn't believe it? I had just been told that my best friends had been plotting my relationship with Jack. Ohh is she going to get a talking to for not telling me.

"I...I...just couldn't do it, I mean for starters there was Carl and I thought you loved Jade." This was one simple matter that I needed to clear up. Did he merely string her along as part of his plan? And if so, did she know she was part of his plan?
"Never." Just that simple word accompanied by that look in his eyes made me sure that he had never had any feelings for her. I must admit, I was relieved!

"But I_" I didn't get to finish because he was kissing me again. I ran my fingers through his soft hair before he broke away again.
"Well I'm tired now, what about you?" And as if to answer his question, at that moment I let out a yawn. He laughed and said,
"Thought so." Then he went and flopped down on his bed, fully clothed and closed his eyes.

Jack's POV

I was proud of myself, not only had I told the girl of my dreams that I loved her, she told me that she loved me! Though it had taken a lot of effort and had drained me emotionally and physically. In the back of my mind I wondered how on earth would I tell Carl. And how proud of me would Emma be? She had been the one after all who had told me how Mel felt about me.

Mel's POV

I started to make my way to the sofa, when Jack opened one eye and said,

"What are you doing going over there?" I uncertainty walked to the bed and Jack grabbed my arms, kissed me and pulled me on. He then wrapped his arms around me and I snuggled down. This is how it was meant to be, me and Jack together.

When I woke up the next morning, I realised that I was in the bed with the sunlight flooding onto me. Strange, then there was movement next to me and I saw Jack's face smile at me. That's when I remembered, it's strange how you forget things over night, no matter how important to you they are.

I smiled back and gave him a hug, lying on top of him. He kissed me and hugged me tight. We lay there for a little while longer then we had to get up. I went into the bathroom and changed into a skirt and top then put on some make-up and tied my hair into a messy bun. I walked out of the bathroom and Jack whistled, I walked over to him and playfully hit him on the shoulder.

"I was wondering, did you have anything to do with us sharing a room?" I raised an eyebrow and Jack grinned a little.
"Um, no. It was all the teachers’ idea." He coughed and I laughed reaching up to kiss him.

"Well, tell them from me thank you." I winked at him and I went to lie down on the bed waiting for Jack to emerge.
He came out a few moments later and we began to go downstairs for breakfast, Jacks arm around my waist. When Jade saw us she started screaming 'Oh my God you guys!' in a really preppy kind of way. We laughed and sat down.

And for me, it was the best few days of my life. I never thought I would find someone to go to the lengths he went through to get me. You know what they say, male and female best friends will undoubtedly end up loving each other. Its just too close a friendship to stay just that; a friendship. Friendships have too solid a foundation to not progress further into a romantic attachment. You could call it the best friend trap, you never realise you may fall into it.

I love Jack and hope that we will stay together for a long time and that's the end of my story.
For now anyway.

~♥~ The End ~♥~

#30 rissagirl810

rissagirl810

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

*New Reader!*

Holy CRAP!! I love this story! It was amazing! Now, you had better make a sequal!! Or else someone *cough*me*cough* will be very mad!! Hehe. Anyway, thats how I felt with my best friend from pre-school, then he got lukemia, and died when he was six. We were like best friends. Anyway, Ya. You had better have a sequal planned!

~ris~

#31 HoplessRomantic02

HoplessRomantic02

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:41 AM

Awwwww!
Yay them
yay us
yay FOB

MiMi x

#32 PrincessMiffy

PrincessMiffy

Meg Cabot Fan

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

Uhh, there already is a sequel which I may or may not rewrite.
You can check it out from my profile because I'm too lazy to find the link :)

I think I will probably start a new story soon, but I want to finish 'Shy and in Love' first.

Thanks you guys for all your comments and MiMi - YAY FOB!!!

-Hayley

#33 ~booknerd~

~booknerd~

Meg Cabot Obsessed

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:56 PM

Awww, that ending made me just as happy the second time around! :love7:

*sigh* It was just so perfect!

How I wish that would happen to me...

#34 Purple Rocks

Purple Rocks

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

*New Reader!!*

Omq!!!

I loved it!!!

It's amaZAYN!!

Please!!! Put more extra chapters!!PLEASE!!
My health depends on it!!!

-Jennifer :m:

#35 Katexxx

Katexxx

Meg Cabot Reader

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

i love this keep writing i'm intrigued

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users